Security agencies in Kashmir are alarmed as six youth had gone missing in the Valley in March. Photos of three of them with weapons in hand surfaced online in the past few days, raising suspicion that they have joined militancy.One of those missing is a student of the University of Kashmir and another is a policeman’s son. Protests broke out on the university campus on Wednesday, demanding the whereabouts of Sameer Ahmad Dar, a Department of Earth Sciences student, be revealed. The students say Dar has been missing since March 19 after leaving home at Kakpora in Pulwama.“The university has written to the Director-General of Police and requested him to ascertain the student’s whereabouts. We request the agitating students to maintain calm and cooperate till the police ascertain the facts,” a university official said.A senior police official told The Hindu that an investigation had failed to establish that Dar had links with the militants, but they could not rule out the possibility.Mother’s anguishAt Kawa Mohallah in Khanyar of Old City here, Mymoona Jan, mother of Fahad Mushtaq Waza, 18, known as Faid, appealed to her son to “quit militancy”. Faid went on a religious programme on March 23 and on Tuesday, his gun-wielding pictures were splashed on social media sites. He allegedly joined the Lashkar-e-Taiba and took the name Abu Usama.“He [Waza] betrayed, and lied to, me. He said he would be back by Monday after finishing a religious programme. I appeal to him to return now,” Ms. Jan said.In Kupwara, the police have declared Junaid Ahmad Wani (25) of Tikkipora “missing”. “The matter is under investigation. We cannot conclude that Wani has joined militancy,” a senior police official said.Bilal Ahmad Shah (25), also from Kupwara, allegedly joined the militant ranks on March 20. He had been missing for three weeks and was seen carrying an AK 47 rifle in a photo posted online recently, showing that he has joined the Hizbul Mujahideen.Another youth who announced his alleged association with militants on social media is Abid Maqbool Bhat, son of a head constable at Tral in Pulwama, He is said to have joined the Jasih-e-Muhammad. Junaid Ahmad Khan, son of the newly appointed Tehreek-e-Hurriyat chairman Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai, joined the Hizb.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday dared Prime Minister Narendra Modi to prove that she took money selling her paintings.The TMC chief’s strong reaction comes after BJP president Amit Shah on Tuesday alleged Ms. Banerjee’s paintings were bought by chit fund owners for crores of rupees.Addressing a public meeting here, Ms. Banerjee said the BJP leaders have no courtesy and her party has initiated defamation proceedings “over the baseless allegation“.“Modi Babu (PM), I challenge you to prove that I have taken a single penny (for selling the paintings) in my account. You talk like a barbarian and have no courtesy,” Ms. Banerjee said.
Touch Football Australia (TFA) National Representative Teams and squads were involved in a series of camps and events around the Country on the weekend that led to widespread media coverage and massive promotional exposure for the code on a National scale.TFA fielded an Australian Women’s Invitational Team in the Harvey Norman Beach Footy Series at Sydney’s Maroubra beach on the 16-17 December 2006.The event featured six elite teams battling it out for $100,000 in prize money for their choosen charity.Four of the teams – The Blues, the Maroons, the Pacific Islanders, and the Young Guns comprised wall to wall National Rugby League superstars, whilst the Australian Women’s Invitational Beach Footy team, and a Celebrity Team headlined by Andrew Johns, and Anthony Mundine completed the stellar field.The event received massive media exposure in print, radio, and television mediums through broadcast partners Channel Nine, News Limited, and Nova FM, and the Women’s Beach Footy Team were featured prominantly.Among the media exposure TFA received was the front page story of a four page Beach Footy liftout in Sydney’s Daily Telegraph on Friday, live radio interviews with Women’s players and updates on Nova FM, and 2UE, exposure on several National network news bulletins, and Channel Ten’s Sports Tonight.Channel Nine taped the Beach Footy Series and it will be aired in late February/ early March in the lead-up to the NRL season kick-off.The Australian Men’s Open Team travelled to Rockhampton for their final training camp of their 2007 World Cup campaign and enjoyed saturation exposure from the local media.The Touch Football loving town rolled out the red carpet for Tony Trad’s men and the 3 game series against a Central Queensland combination that featured Rugby League superstar Benji Marshall turning out as an Invitational player for Central Queensland in the last game, received daily print and television coverage in the region.To cap off an exciting time promotionally for the sport, the Australian Open Women’s Team were featured on Channel Ten’s Sports Tonight program Sunday evening in an excellent piece on their record as arguably Australia’s most successful National Women’s sporting Team.The Aussie girls have won 45 World Cup games straight in a 19 year unblemished run in World Cup competition.A further piece on the Australian Men’s Open Team will be featured on Sports Tonight before all seven teams depart Australia’s shores bound for Stellenbosch, South Africa on January 13 2007.There will be media stories circulating in the lead-up to the World Cup on Australian representative players and Teams so keep your eyes peeled for World Cup stories around the nation in coming weeks.
Allardyce responds to Everton boss Silva swipe: It wasn’t personal!by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Everton boss Sam Allardyce has responded to a swipe from Blues manager Marco Silva.Allardyce urged Silva to sway from his ‘attractive’ style of football after the Toffees suffered defeats to Brighton, Tottenham and Leicester over the festive period, prompting a backlash from his Goodison Park successor in a press conference.“I don’t expect him to listen to me!” Allardyce told talkSPORT.“I was generalising about Everton overall, I wasn’t having a pop at Marco Silva.“I was saying that in the end, look at the previous four managers of Everton, including myself – all of them have been dismissed for one reason or another.“Marco Silva hasn’t yet, but pressure on him will depend on where they are in the league and winning football matches.“The press man who asked the question probably didn’t put it how I said it in that interview.”Allardyce also remarked: “I think you play out from the back when it suits you, and if you doesn’t suit you, you don’t play out from the back.“Everton is the only place where results haven’t given me time to go and do a better job than I did last season.“At the end of the day, it wasn’t my team. I inherited that team.“I was doing the best I could with the tools I had available. Moving on from there, they’ve spent a lot of money again, and where will they end up this season? That’s building expectation by the amount of money they spent.“I think there’s only four players that played when I was there, all the others are new players that were brought in this season.“The players themselves have got to find out about each other as they play every week and maybe that’s why they aren’t getting the results that the Everton fans would expect.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Actor Dominic West, best known for his role as Detective Jimmy McNulty in the HBO drama series ‘The Wire’ and playing Fred West in ‘Appropriate Adult’, is supporting the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children’s Don’t wait until you’re certain campaign.Video: Actor Dominic West supports NSPCC Don’t Wait campaignDominic features in a video message that encourages people to get in touch with the NSPCC if they have concerns about a child.He says in the video: “The longer you deliberate over child abuse, the greater the risk to the child in question. It could be nothing. But it could be something. If you’re worried about a child, don’t wait until you’re certain. Contact the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.”
FREDERICTON – Irving Oil says any New Brunswick carbon plan needs to allow the province’s businesses to remain competitive.Premier Brian Gallant’s government announced in Tuesday’s throne speech that his Liberal government would bring in carbon pricing that helps combat climate change.The premier says the pricing model will minimize the impact on consumers while calling on industry to reduce emissions or pay its fair share.In a statement sent to The Canadian Press, Irving Oil said 80 per cent of its production goes to the U.S., where its competitors face no carbon tax.Jeff Matthews, an executive from the firm, said in the release that the firm is “committed to working with all levels of government on a plan that protects the environment while also maintaining competitiveness for New Brunswick businesses.”He’s calling on the province to create a Made in New Brunswick carbon pricing model.
SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of — South Korea says it will fine BMW 11.2 billion won ($9.9 million) and file a criminal complaint against the company with state prosecutors over an allegedly botched response to dozens of engine fires reported in the country.South Korea’s Transport Ministry said Monday its investigation panel after a five-month review concluded that the German automaker deliberately tried to cover up technical problems and moved too slowly to recall vehicles after around 40 of its cars caught fire earlier this year.BMW recalled some 172,000 vehicles in July and October over the fires it has blamed on a faulty exhaust gas component. The company said there had been no reports of injuries linked to the fires.BMW’s South Korean unit didn’t immediately comment on the ministry’s announcement.The Associated Press
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The upcoming Chamber Luncheon will host Katie Rosenberger, Executive Director of the Affiliation of Multicultural Societies and Service Agencies (AMSSA) on the need to strengthen newcomer integration.The BC Provincial Association will share how they help to strengthen member agencies and stakeholders who serve newcomers and build culturally inclusive communities with the knowledge, resources and support.After an extensive consultation period in November 2017, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada released its multi-year Immigration Levels Plan. This plan is to help be proactive in determining service and market integration needs by impact settlement and integration programming. Yet it was clear that BC lacked planning in regards to the integration of newcomers. Employment in BC increased at a faster pace than at the national level which enabled BC’s labour force to expand by 74,700 persons in 2016 and 68,400 persons in 2017, to reach a labour force of 2.6 million people.Shared in the promotion information from the Chamber, according to the Economic Insight no. 81, Recent Economic Developments in British Columbia, Immigration, particularly to Vancouver, accounted for 50% of the overall labour force increase in 2016.The promotion information goes on to share that the 2018 BC Labour Market Outlook forecasts 903,000 job openings between 2018 and 2028 with 68% of these openings occurring due to retirement and 32% due to the creation of new jobs.It is estimated that 27% of these vacancies will need to be filled by 24,300 immigrants each year. The 2018 BC Labour Market Outlook estimates that 77% of the 903,000 jobs that need to be filled by 2028 will require at least some form of post-secondary education or training.The need for a highly qualified workforce requires a commitment from BC to provide job-readiness training and industry-specific language training for newcomers. Their innovative ideas and diverse perspectives can contribute significantly to existing structures, according to the Conference Board of CanadaThe AMSSA released a report September 2018 calling for action from the Government of BC to increase support for the integration of newcomers. The report provides a series of significant recommendations for investments into BC’s immigration integration system.Immigration for BC’s FutureTuesday, January 22, 201911:45 am – 1:00 pmPomeroy Hotel & Conference Centre11308 Alaska RoadTo Register for the event CLICK HERE
Patna: Actor-turned-politician Shatrughan Sinha, the sitting BJP MP from Patna Sahib who has been denied a ticket by the party this time, has accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of treating party patriarch L K Advani in a “painful” and “shameful” manner.In a series of tweets on Saturday, Sinha claimed that the BJP’s decision to not give ticket to Advani, the sitting MP from Gandhinagar, and to field party president Amit Shah from the seat “has not gone down well” with many people. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM'”Sirji… it is worrisome, painful and according to some even shameful… that which your people have done was the most expected and awaited… orchestrating the departure of a most respected friend, philosopher, guide, father figure and ultimate leader of the party, Shri L K Advani from the political arena/election,” Sinha tweeted. Advani, 91, has served as Union home minister and deputy prime minister. He was also the national president of the BJP more than once. He is often credited with helping the party create a national footprint within a decade of its formation through active participation in the Ayodhya movement. In another tweet, Sinha deplored “the replacement of Mr Advani by none other than the man who is also the president of the party and whose image or personality is no match nor even a patch on him”. “This has been done intentionally and deliberately and not gone down well with the people of the country,” the rebel BJP leader claimed.
Ohio State redshirt sophomore running back Mike Weber (25) runs the ball in the first half in the game against Illinois on Nov. 18. Ohio State won 52-14. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorJust about everything that could have gone right for No. 9 Ohio State (9-2, 7-1 Big Ten) went right. The Buckeyes steamrolled Illinois (2-9, 0-8 Big Ten) 52-14 Saturday in Ohio Stadium. This was the final home game for the 19 Ohio State seniors, and the Buckeyes’ final test before traveling on the road to face No. 24 Michigan.5 – Illinois first downs. Ohio State dominated in nearly all facets of the game Saturday, and it showed in the offensive numbers put up by Illinois. The Fighting Illini offense was unable to get anything going all day, and it took until there was just 3:37 left in the second half for Illinois to come up with a first down. All told, the Fighting Illini were able to muster just five first downs in the game. Ohio State’s defense was suffocating, and the inaccuracy of Illinois’ quarterback did not help. Quarterback Chayce Crouch was just 4-for-14 and had five (counting) incomplete passes on third down tries, contributing to the 8 percent third-down conversion rating. The weather also contributed to the struggles of the Fighting Illini, affecting multiple receivers who dropped third-down passes. Though holding the Illini to few first downs, Ohio State’s defensive strength was just as responsible as Illinois’ offensive futility. 18:05 – Time spent by J.T. Barrett under center. On his senior day, quarterback J.T. Barrett spent a total of 18:05 playing quarterback for Ohio State. He was in the game for all of the first quarter, two full drives in the second quarter and two in the third quarter when he was subbed back in for the backups. Ohio State had possession of the ball for 37:16 in the game.Barrett’s final game in the ‘Shoe was exactly how many expected it would be: a blowout victory and early curtain call. The only reason Barrett returned at all for the third quarter was because backup quarterback Dwayne Haskins fumbled the football and saw the defense return it for a touchdown. Barrett then came out, had a three-and-out and then regained possession of the ball when Illinois muffed the punt. It was an early and expected hook for the three-time captain in a blowout as he attempts to stay healthy for Ohio State’s matchup against Michigan. He finished the game going 11-for-19 with 141 passing yards, two touchdowns. He added 33 rushing yards on five carries and a touchdown. 4 – Ohio State rushing touchdowns. Ohio State put up its most impressive rushing display of the season last game against Michigan State with 335 yards on 42 carries and four touchdowns. Though the Buckeyes did not have quite that much success against the Illini, its 325 rushing yards were good for second-most this season and the four rushing touchdowns were tied for the most. While a lot of the rushing yardage came toward the end, when Ohio State was just trying to run out the clock, the rushing touchdowns for Ohio State in the first half were more the product of a team relying on its biggest offensive strength. Redshirt sophomore running back Mike Weber punched in two on the ground in the first quarter, Barrett also had one in the first and freshman running back J.K. Dobbins had one in the second quarter. This was the second consecutive game where even in meaningful minutes, Ohio State relied heavily on its running backs once again for the majority of its offensive production, and the offensive line was able to provide the backs with the space to run. Ohio State seems to have found where its offense has the most success, and heading into a matchup against two of the best rushing defenses in the nation in Michigan and Wisconsin, it will need to hope the offensive line holds up against a pair of potent pass-rushes.55 – Illinois penalty yards. When it rains, it pours. And for Illinois, the rain was just the struggles to keep up with the gap in talent between the two teams. But so often, Ohio State poured it on the Illini by their penalties committed. Illinois had two penalties that resulted in the Ohio State offense receiving a first down, three penalties that pushed its own offense back and two on special teams. When it was all said and done, Illinois had a total of 55 penalty yards on seven penalties. For most of the season, Ohio State has been the team that has been penalized. Ohio State’s 72.2 penalty yards per game were the 10th-most by any team in the nation heading into the game. While the Buckeyes ultimately finished with more penalty yardage (68) and the same number of penalties, Ohio State’s advantage in talent helped minimize the damage felt by its penalties. The lack of discipline by Illinois was not the difference maker in the game, but it certainly did not help an already overmatched Illinois team.100 – Dwayne Haskins all-purpose yards. Ohio State was ahead by so much that it was able to send backup quarterback Dwayne Haskins into the game in the second quarter to get some playing time. And while he could not get anything going during his first two drives and fumbled on his third, he quickly turned things around and finished the game with 100 all-purpose yards, 77 through the air and 23 on the ground.Haskins was just one of three Ohio State quarterbacks to play in the game — he received the second-most playing time — but he still fell just 6 yards shy of surpassing the total yardage of the entire Illinois offense. His performance was far from perfect, but even he was able to lead Ohio State to more offensive success on just his small handful of drives than the Illinois’ offense was able to produce the entire game.