…says $2.3M in damages to vehicles being repaid by ranksRanks of the Guyana Police Force (GPF) who have found themselves involved in vehicular accidents, whether in their personal vehicles or in the Force’s vehicles, were at the receiving end of a verbal bashing by acting Police Commissioner David Ramnarine.Addressing senior and junior ranks as well as stakeholders at the Force’s 179th Anniversary Awards Ceremony on Wednesday morning, Ramnarine reminded members of the Force that road regulations are applicable to all road users, while admonishing those ranks who have been involved in vehicular accidents.He pointed out that from July 2016 to June 2017, eighteen members of the Force were involved in various category of accidents while driving GPF vehicles. This compares to an increase of 23 ranks involved in accidents during the period July 2017 to June 2018.“A total of 41 ranks, including seven subordinate officers and 34 constables [were fingered in these accidents]. Add this to another 18 ranks over the two years’ period being involved in various accidents while driving private vehicles. The occurrences cannot be ones that we are satisfied with. We have taken an oath, we are here in uniforms, we have higher learning and training; and therefore we must conduct ourselves a lot better than we do,” the acting top cop asserted.According to Ramnarine, those ranks who fail to better conduct themselves on the roadways will face the same fate as those who have been made to pay over $2.3 million for damaging the Force’s vehicle thus far this year.“They are being made to repay for the costs of those damages. Some 10 ranks have already completed payment, and the others have some more time to pay.Police Commissioner (ag) David RamnarineThat is the position we have to enforce,” Ramnarine posited.The acting Top Cop is accordingly urging ranks to be more responsible on the roadways while executing their duties.“We have permitted [speeding] in only emergency situations and in situations where, for example, you’re fired upon and there is great danger to public safety if you don’t take a certain course of action. But in normal circumstances — for instance following a motor cycle without a number plate; the motorcyclist got away, you didn’t get the motorcycle, but you end up slamming into a civilian vehicle, damaging beyond repair a Police vehicle; and for what? For a minor offence? Please use your judgement, or you will have to pay as others have started to pay. This is the position,” he outlined.Further, Ramnarine went on to say that the Force will no longer tolerate such reprehensible and disrespectful behaviour from ranks who continue to breach road rules and traffic regulations.“We cannot move forward in the same way… Of course the leadership of the Force has not feigned or neglected to take condign action, but the reality of this prior unacceptable situation is that, at this juncture of our 179th anniversary, let us assure that there is significant positive improvement and set the example by good private and public conduct regarding the use of the road and adherence to the regulations that are attached,” the acting Top Cop encouraged. Complaints downA crashed Police vehicleEven as Ramnarine reprimanded ranks for their conduct on the roadways, he revealed that general complaints against members of the Police Force has significantly declined over the last two years. In fact, he said, there was a 39.5 per cent decrease in complaints against ranks over the past year when compared to the previous corresponding period.“There were 394 complaints between July 2016 and June 2017; and between July 2017 and June 2018, we have 283 complaints. Additionally, for the first half of this year, against that of last year, we record a 50 per cent decrease in complaints with 140 complaints this year for the first six months, against 280 for the first six months last year,” the acting Police Commissioner disclosed.The nature of the complaints that have been reduced against members of the Force include neglect of duty, Police harassment, assaults, wrongful arrests, corrupt practices, sexual harassment, and fraudulent conversion.According to the Ramnarine, the decline in complaints has been found to be as a result of a number of factors.“A preliminary analysis suggests that improved and increased supervision, swift and condign action by senior leadership of the Force, severe punishment, support through speedy and timely legal advice, and some degree of reluctance on the part of complainants are the main reasons for this significant decline in complaints,” he stated.However, while these complaints have declined, the offence of ‘Acts in a manner likely to bring discredit on the reputation of the Force’ has shown an increase of 30 per cent, with a total of 56 complaints against 39 over the two-year comparable period.Nevertheless, the acting Police Commissioner posited that various efforts are afoot to build much needed professionalism as well as capacity and capability within the country’s premier law enforcement agency.These include consistent training under various local and overseas-sponsored initiatives, such as the Canada-funded Justice Education Society (JES) programme, as well as ongoing efforts under the Security Sector Reform Project (SSRP), being executed by the British Government. (Vahnu Manikchand)
Over 300 rice farmers in Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) and from the island of Wakenaam in Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara) flocked the gate of the Hack Rice Mill in Golden Fleece, Essequibo Coast demanding their payments.Farmers are concerned over the long delay in receiving payment from millers for paddy purchased since September and some even earlier this year. After a commotion erupted in front of the main gate of the rice factory, its management was forced to meet with the frustrated rice farmers.According to the farmers, they were there as early as 06:00h on Friday and were trying to get the attention of senior management of the rice complex but no one was willing to speak with them. One farmer said the group decided to protest and make noise outside the entity as they demanded to see the manager for their payments.The owed farmers said the manger eventually met with them and agreed to give them payments between $50,000 and $100,000 until full payments are available.The farmers said they have their monthly bank installment to meet and the cash given to them in some cases cannot even meet the required payment.Speaking with Guyana Times, a mother who was also outside the factory protesting, said it is not easy for her to financially manage her home. She said she has to finance her children’s education, which is a very expensive exercise. One is at one the Cyril Potter College of Education (CPCE), one is at the University of Guyana, and the other is writing the Caribbean Examination Council next year.Some of the other women who were also on the protest line said they are single parents and are depending only on their meagre earnings from the rice industry for their survival. “It will be a dull, dull Christmas for us,” one woman said.
Recommended for you Luxury events for Chicago’s leading travel and media professionals hosted by #TeamTCI Fish ‘n’ Grits was a hit in Singapore; TCI Culinary Ambassadors return from Singapore Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNew York City was great for the Turks and Caicos – for business and for pleasure.The Invest Turks and Caicos Agency debuted on the international scene last night, in a penthouse suite at the Gansevoort on Park Avenue with potential investors hosted by John Rutherford and Angela Musgrove of the recently, rebooted investment arm.At Le District, there was a true buzz as travel agents met with the TeamTCI delegation for the presentation which featured the famous Caya Hico Media video, remarks by the Premier & Tourism Minister and vacation giveaways led by Nikheel Advani of Grace Bay Resorts.Mark Durliat, CEO of Grace Bay Resorts was also a part of the investment unit function held just one hour before the tourism meeting.A special appearance came at The District when internationally renowned Middle Caicos conceived, South Caicos born, sculpture and painter, Bradley Theodore was well received… he too endorsed the Turks and Caicos as a luxury escape with intrinsic beauties and life’s simplicities still intact.At the event, Global Traveler Magazine presented Tourism Minister, Chairman and Director and Premier Rufus Ewing with yet another ‘Best of’ prize… Grace Bay Beach was again named top in the world by the Five Star publication. Related Items:newyorkcity, nyc, Tci, teamtci Turks and Caicos named Caribbean’s Leading Beach Destination at World Travel Awards Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Updated: 11:46 AM 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Some community members asked the San Diego Police Department to take a closer look at the use of a tactic called a “carotid restraint.” While critics say the practice isn’t safe, the department says the neck hold can be an effective policing tool, as an intermediate force tactic and a non-lethal use of force.A recent review by the police department found that the carotid restraint was used more than 400 times over a five year period between 2013 and 2017.Lieutenant Jim Jordon from the San Diego Police Department says a choke hold that pushes against the windpipe isn’t legal, but the vascular neck hold which obstructs blood flow, not air flow can be effectively used in cases involving assaultive or combative subjects. The technique applies pressure to the blood vessels on the side of the neck, until the person loses consciousness.The police department’s review last September revealed that the carotid restraint was used 58 percent of the time on subjects who were actively resisting and 28 percent in situations that also involved alcohol or narcotics. The carotid restraint was applied on African America subjects in 25 percent of the incidents. African Americans are 6 and a half percent of the city’s population.Community members have expressed reservations about the safety of the hold and whether the restraint could lead to death. The department said it did not know of any incidents that resulted in death or significant injury.The police department said based on its review, it will continue to use the carotid restraint, although it will make some policy changes to sure the practice is safe. Those revisions include an annual review of the use of force, more frequent police training on the neck hold, taking subjects to whom the restraint was applied to a hospital for a medical evaluation and banning the use of the tactic on high risk individuals such as the elderly, those who are st obviously juveniles and pregnant women.The carotid restraint puts pressure on each side of the suspect’s neck, as shown in the photo below. FacebookTwitter May 20, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News Sasha Foo Posted: May 20, 2019 San Diego Police leaders defend use of controversial neck restraint Sasha Foo,
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass., will become the home of a new directorate that allows senior military leaders to communicate with the nation’s nuclear forces, adding more than 40 positions at the Boston-area installation and 40 more with local contractors.The Nuclear Command, Control and Communications (NC3) Integration Directorate and Program Executive Officer also brings a third high-ranking program executive officer to Hanscom. The move reflects “the importance of the base’s steadily growing mission and validates the unmatched technological expertise at Hanscom and throughout the surrounding region,” according to an announcement from the Massachusetts Military Asset and Security Strategy Task Force and the state’s congressional delegation.The directorate will not house actual weapons.Gov. Charlie Baker (R), the congressional delegation and members of the Task Force urged Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James to consider Hanscom as the location for the new directorate when she visited the base last year.“This decision demonstrates the commonwealth’s many strengths and in coordination with our federal delegation, the overwhelming support and recognition for the role our military facilities, service members and their families play in Massachusetts,” Baker said.The importance of the region’s highly educated workforce was further reinforced last month when DOD announced it would invest hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade MIT’s Lincoln Labs at Hanscom, said Rep. Niki Tsongas (D).“Now, the establishment of the NC3 Directorate at Hanscom is even further evidence that the military, at its top levels, recognizes and appreciates what Hanscom and the commonwealth have to offer: unmatched capabilities and benefits for our men and women in uniform that keep our military on the cutting edge of technical innovation,” Tsongas said.“By choosing Hanscom for this highly technical directorate, the DOD is solidifying its commitment to seeing Hanscom’s mission continue to grow, and ensuring that this base will continue to be an economic driver and job creator for years to come,” she stated.