State to launch start-up yatra to pick from rural ecosystem

first_imgThe Maharashtra government will tap into the vibrancy of the start-up ecosystem by launching a yatra to search for future entrepreneurs and unicorns in rural areas.Backward regionsThe month-long start-up yatra will be flagged off by the Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu and cover as many as 14 districts of Maharashtra, especially in the backwards regions of Vidarbha and Marathwada, officials said.A contingent of industrialists, bankers and investors will depart from Mumbai on October 3 and complete the month-long journey in the first week of November. “During the period we will hold boot camps looking for ideas and talent in the rural start-up system. The conclusion would be a two-day incubator camp in Mumbai,” said a State official.Rural outreachSenior officials said the yatra aims to support a start-up culture in the region, and at the same time reach out to the hinterland to “pick up start-ups”.The contingent will include representatives from 24 start-ups which have been shortlisted earlier this year to collaborate with the government to implement innovative projects.The state has already signed Letters of Intent with 24 start-ups for work orders worth ₹15 lakh as part of the Maharashtra Start up Week where over 2,000 participants made a pitch for their innovations at the event. The shortlisted start-ups are collaborating with the government over the next few months and work closely in areas such as infrastructure, healthcare, defence and the environment.As part of the State’s start-up policy, the rural outreach has been in the planning stage for a while, Minister for Labour and Skill Development Sambhaji Patil-Nilangekar said the most exciting part of the start-up week was, 18 of the 24 shortlisted firms are based in the rural regions of Maharashtra, and areas outside bigger cities. “We now want this start-up ecosystem to spread even to the rural areas,” he said.last_img read more

Continue reading

LaVar Ball Crazy or a Genius LaMelo and LiAngelo

I need LaVar Ball to succeed, man. I need them to become mega millionaires. Like I need this to happen.— Mel Blunt (@KNGSHxT) December 7, 2017 InstagramIt looks like the relationship between the Ball family and the UCLA Basketball program is done forever.As ESPN reports, LaMelo and LiAngelo Ball — ages 16 and 19 respectively — just signed with the sports agent Harrison Gaines and will skip college to play overseas. LiAngelo played for the storied UCLA Bruins until he was suspended for shoplifting in China last month. Afterwards, his dad LaVar Ball pulled him out of school completely.  The eldest brother Lonzo Ball played for the university as well, but just one year before he headed to the NBA to play for the Los Angeles Lakers. The main reason for sending LaMelo and LiAngelo overseas is so they can be teammates, their dad explained.“I don’t care about the money,” said LaVar. “I want them to go somewhere where they will play them together on the court at the same time. The priority is for the boys to play on the same team.”In October, the 50-year-old father withdrew LaMelo from Chino Hills High School, and the original plan was to enroll him in UCLA in two years time. “He’s not going to play college basketball,” said LaVar.It seems getting his boys to play competitively again is another reason LaVar wants to send them overseas since LiAngelo was suspended from UCLA. Moreover, there’s a good chance that his stock would’ve fallen come NBA Draft time. So far, there have been a few overseas teams that have expressed interest in the two younger Ball brothers but nothing has been confirmed yet. “I don’t know the deals and who is offering what,” LaVar stated. “I’m letting Harrison handle all that, but I know there are a few teams interested. I just need to get them playing again.”Plus, no matter what country LaMelo and LiAngelo will play in, their dad said he’ll be there with them periodically, as well as other family members.“There will be three people with them all the time,” stated LaVar. “I’ll go back and forth and probably stay out there a while at first.”Of course, it didn’t take long for people to chime in with their opinions about the Ball brother playing overseas and not going to school. “How does it feel to know you’ve completely ruined your two youngest son’s chances of making it pro?” one person wrote on LaVar’s Instagram page.“What was the whole point of Gelo and Melo getting scholarships to UCLA if you’re just pulling them right out?” another person asked. “You know how many people would die for a scholarship?”Related news: LaVar BallTrump Says LaVar Ball Is a ‘Poor Man’s Don King’LaVar Ball Isn’t Backing Down from Michael Jordan, Says He Could ‘Beat Him with One Hand’LaVar Ball Pulling AAU Team Off Floor Over ‘Bad’ Call Earns Immdiate Scorn from Disgusted Twitter UsersOthers, however, came to the father’s defense and compared him to Hollywood parents like Kris Kardashian. Some folks also told people to mind their business.“What he does with his kids doesn’t concern you.” He’s helping Gelo,” wrote Instagram user Scott James Jr. “What he’s doing to Melo is questionable. How is that deflecting when you criticize this man for creating a different path for his kids like Hollywood parents do all the time.”Between creating his own shoe and fashion brand, and sending his kids overseas instead of college, it’s clear that LaVar is taking unprecedented steps to get his boys to the NBA. So far, at least in Lonzo’s case, his plan has worked, despite some of the backlash.But is what that Instagram user said correct? Did papa Ball just ruin his boy’s chances of getting to the NBA?To get an answer we reached out to former ESPN employee, Sports Anchor and reporter Derwin Worrell, who said things may be challenging for the Balls, but they still have a good chance of making it in the U.S.“They can still get to the NBA without going to college,” Worrell told Atlantic Black Star. “They will have less exposure by playing overseas. But some NBA teams have great scouts overseas, so if they can really play, they will get noticed and because of the Ball name, NBA teams will definitely be watching.”Basketball fans and other folks familiar with the Balls will surely be watching too, just to see if LaVar’s master plan of sending his kids overseas will work out.Wonder if Lavar Ball ever stopped and asked his kids “what do you want to do?”— Rod Bridgers (@rod_bridgers) December 7, 2017 If people think Lavar Ball is sending his kids overseas just because of basketball y’all crazy, this is a smart man, he just want to promote the BBB brand, that man not stupid y’all better put some respect on his name, IT’S ALL ABOUT THE BAG 💼💯💯💯@bigballerbrand— Coach Twin (@twintowers504) December 7, 2017 LaVar Ball reminds me of the little league Dad who coaches his kid and thinks the kid is way better than he really is. #TheBalls— Tony Patelis (@CollegeHoopNews) December 7, 2017 Lavar Ball is absolutely tanking the futures of his sons and I’m already getting excited for how depressing the 30 for 30 is go to be— Matt Kulka (@kulkanator) December 7, 2017 Thank you Lavar Ball for pulling your sons out of the US basketball systems now they can be Europe’s problem— chris.barry (@beardog40) December 7, 2017 The NCAA is garbage, Lavar Ball is right, and in 20 years he’ll be seen as a prophet. Don’t you @ me either.— Kazeem Famuyide (@RealLifeKaz) December 6, 2017 Lavar ball one of the goats— Davir Hamilton (@EspnHam9) December 7, 2017 Lavar Ball is the Kris Jenner of basketball.— rae-rae ♍️ (@ThatsSoRavii) December 7, 2017 Lavar Ball out here turning the tables 😂😂😂😂😂😂— 8Eye™ (@JaimeBoyer) December 7, 2017 read more

Continue reading

Privacy experts Focus on controlling damage caused by data collection

first_img Comment 1 Share your voice You’re not going to stop the collection of your personal information. That’s the bad news. Companies and governments are finding more points of data to harvest about your daily life, and they’re going to keep doing it.Despite that, a group of privacy experts from organizations including the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the American Civil Liberties Union said there’s hope. Speaking at the Oktane19 conference in San Francisco on Wednesday, they called for a change in tactics: advocate for better laws and technologies that keep data collection from hurting you.”We probably are unable to stop the amount of collection in an effective manner,” said Kurt Opsahl, deputy executive director and general counsel at the EFF. “The answer is to use tools so that creates less harm.”One of these tools could be regulation that gives consumers more rights over their data, like the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation. The law counters the trend of companies collecting whatever data they want on you and storing it indefinitely, because it puts them at risk of financial penalties if hackers steal the data or if it’s misused, said Jon Callas, senior technology fellow at the ACLU. Security Data privacycenter_img Tags It also means thinking about the unexpected ways data from long ago, which Callas calls “data sludge,” could be used against you.Marc Rogers, an executive director focused on cybersecurity at Okta, the event’s sponsor, agreed. For example, he said, connected cars like the Tesla collect information about drivers’ movements for the entire life of the car. What happens to that data if the car goes to the junkyard or auction house, he asked.”If you told me years ago I’d be living in a world where I’d have to be careful disposing of my light bulb because it contains my Wi-Fi password, I’d have thought you were crazy,” Rogers said. The answer to this problem could be technological, with product makers coming up with ways to limit the data exposed at the end of a device’s life cycle.Technical fixes to other problems are emerging but need to become more widespread, said Sara-Jayne Terp, a data scientist who focuses on stopping coordinated misinformation campaigns. As an example of a success, she cited the campaign of Emmanuel Macron for blocking the efforts of hackers and trolls before France’s presidential election in 2017.”We’re not all doomed,” she said. “We just have a lot of work to do.” These Android apps have been tracking you, even when you say stop The majority of scooters in LA are going to share your location with the city Hacking Privacylast_img read more

Continue reading

6km tailback at Paturia ferry terminal

first_imgA six-kilometre long queue of stationary vehicles was created at Paturia ferry terminal in Shivalaya upazila of Manikganj district on Friday morning, causing immense sufferings to Eid holidaymakers, reports UNB.Several hundred buses, private cars and microbuses got stuck with the homegoers on board at the ferry terminal, said Ajmal Hossain, deputy general manager (Aricha region) of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA). Nineteen ferries are in operation at the ghat to carry the vehicles, goods and people to southern districts, said Ajmal, adding that things will return to normalcy if all the ferries run smoothly.last_img read more

Continue reading

Victim of Alleged Abuse by Conroe Priest Is Disappointed in Cardinal DiNardos

first_imgJohn L. Mone/APCardinal Daniel DiNardo, of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.All eyes have been on the Catholic Church recently, following a 1,356-page Pennsylvania grand-jury report from last month that exposed sex abuse among the state’s priests.The leader of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, met with the Pope on Thursday to discuss the scandal—but while he was on his way to Rome a new scandal erupted, this one in his own Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.The Associated Press (AP) broke the story on Wednesday, reporting that police in Conroe, which is located in Montgomery County, had arrested a priest named Manuel Larosa-Lopez. The AP reported that Larosa-Lopez is accused of fondling two people years ago when they were teenagers and when he was a priest at Conroe’s Sacred Heart Catholic Church.On Thursday, News 88.7 talked with one of those alleged victims, who requested not to be identified by name. The victim said that he met with DiNardo last month to discuss his abuse in Conroe, but he left the meeting fuming.“The response at the end of the interview and everything from the Cardinal was that, ‘Well, you should’ve told us earlier, or you should’ve told us sooner.’ And I was like… are you kidding me? You have no idea what my life has been,” the victim said. “I wasn’t there, I wasn’t mentally prepared for that.”The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston issued a statement acknowledging it was aware that allegations had been made against the priest by another victim as early as 2001. The Archdiocese said it reported the allegations to the state’s Child Protective Services.Last month, before the Conroe allegations became public, Cardinal DiNardo spoke to the Catholic TV Network EWTN about clergy sex abuse. He was asked to speak directly to survivors of such abuse.“To all of you, my profound repentance and sorrow for what you have experienced,” DiNardo said. “We need to together grow as a church, first in repentance then in our desire and in our action to move ahead where no one in the Church is subject to what you were subject to.”Critics worry that DiNardo and the rest of the Catholic Church will never do enough. One of the Church’s most vocal critics in Houston is Michael Norris, who was sexually abused at 10 years old by a priest in Kentucky. Today, Norris lives in Houston and serves as head of the Houston chapter of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, commonly known as SNAP.Norris said that the grand-jury report in Pennsylvania gave him new hope.“I really think that we’ve turned a corner,” he said. “What I saw in Pennsylvania—this is different. The fact that the civil authorities are finally investigating and digging and subpoenaing… You can’t trust the Church. The Church will not share what’s happened. They’re not transparent. They refuse to be transparent. So, having the civil authorities dig and find all this, that’s great.”Norris said he is trying to generate public pressure on Texas, specifically on Attorney General Ken Paxton, to do what a growing number of other states have done—launch a state investigation of the Catholic Church.Houston Matters’ Maggie Martin interviewed Nomaan Merchant, the AP reporter who is working on the story about the allegations in Conroe.Merchant said the two alleged victims “said that they wanted to call attention to what they felt was Cardinal DiNardo’s inaction in taking their allegations seriously.”The attention sexual abuse in the Catholic Church has been receiving recently with the release of a grand jury report in Pennsylvania , as well as the resignation of Washington, D.C.’s Archbishop Theodore McCarrick, were also motivating factors for both persons, according to the reporter.Merchant thinks the story could continue unfolding. “There could be other people that come forward,” he said. “There could be more that comes out of what Cardinal DiNardo said in meetings with people who accused Father Manuel of abuse before the arrest.” Sharelast_img read more

Continue reading