Comment Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang delighted for Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli after Arsenal tie down young duo Tom OlverTuesday 7 Jul 2020 4:17 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.6kShares Saka signed a bumper new deal with Arsenal last week (Picture: Getty)The teenage duo are regarded as two of the finest young players in Premier League football and Mikel Arteta will no doubt be relieved to have tied them both down this summer.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTBut Arteta will still be sweating over Aubameyang’s contract situation, with the striker’s current deal due to expire in 12 months’ time. Speaking to Arsenal’s official matchday programme ahead of tonight’s clash with Leicester, Aubameyang said: ‘It was great for the club that Bukayo and Gabi signed new contracts last week.‘They have made a big, big impact at the club even though they are only teenagers.‘Particularly for Bukayo, it must be amazing to sign that contract and think back to when he first put on an Arsenal shirt in the academy when I think he was only six or seven.‘Both of them are such impressive players already, they have so much to their games – as Bukayo showed with that brilliant goal on Saturday when he just guided it in so nicely.’ Aubameyang is yet to commit his future to the Gunners (Picture: Getty)Aubameyang, who took a little longer to prove himself at the top level, is convinced Arsenal’s current crop of youngsters have the ‘mature attributes’ to succeed in first-team football.‘It’s funny for me looking back because at 18 I was really raw, there was a lot more for me to learn and it took me a few years to really see all of my potential.‘But these boys – and you can say the same about Joe and Eddie too – they already seem to have lots of mature attributes.‘And the great thing is that they are making an impression at the highest level now, but the key is that they are hungry to work hard and really want to learn more and get better and better.’Will Aubameyang sign a new deal at Arsenal?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page.MORE: Ray Parlour makes prediction for Arsenal’s Premier League clash with LeicesterMORE: Emiliano Martinez praises Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta’s ruthlessness amid Matteo Guendouzi saga Advertisement Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli have both really impressed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Picture: Getty)Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is delighted that Arsenal have managed to secure new long-term contracts for Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli and says both youngsters have proven themselves to be ‘such impressive players’ since breaking into the first-team.Saka, 18, put an end to the uncertainty surrounding his future as he signed a lucrative four-year deal with the Gunners before scoring in the side’s 2-0 victory at Wolves.Martinelli, 19, was next to commit his future to the north London club as he followed Saka in putting pen to paper on a four-year extension at the Emirates. Advertisement
“It’ll be a tough game for us away at Stoke but we go there and we want to finish the season strongly. “I always believe it’s a good sign of the team if they can keep going to the very end and that’ll be our ambition against Stoke.” While the contract dispute with Sterling is likely to rumble on throughout the summer the club were at least able to tie down another promising youngster to a long-term deal this week. Jordon Ibe, a year younger than Sterling, enjoyed his first-team breakthrough in the second half of the season after returning from a loan spell at Derby. He is hoping to make greater strides next season. “To be honest, the number-one target for me is to get goals and try to stay in the team. They’re the two main goals for me,” he told LFCTV. “I need to keep playing well, getting goals and making the gaffer happy. I’ve got to help the team win games and then hopefully I can secure it (my place) in the new season. “To win medals – that’s the number one thing for me. I want to help us get back into the Champions League and try to win that one day. “We were close last year to the league title, so that is another aim – as well as the FA Cup.” Headlines about Raheem Sterling’s contract issues and the prospect of Liverpool losing a star player this summer have deflected attention from the departure of one of the club’s true greats. There was, quite correctly, great fanfare surrounding Steven Gerrard’s final match at Anfield last week but Sunday’s trip to Stoke will be the midfielder’s 710th and final appearance for the Reds. Having got through the emotionally-charged send-off in front of his home fans, manager Brendan Rodgers has no doubts about the 34-year-old’s ability to handle his final curtain call at the Britannia Stadium. Press Association “He’ll be very able,” said the Reds boss. “I’m sure for Steven it’s been a huge relief. Leading into your last game at Anfield, which has been his home for 17 years, there was probably a whole load of emotion. “Unfortunately our performance level wasn’t what we expected (they suffered a 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace) but I think the crowd and the supporters recognised the moment and gave him a great send-off. “So I’m sure for him it’s a huge sigh of relief and he has worked well this week concentrating on Sunday’s game.” A disappointing campaign will come to an end with Liverpool playing for nothing more than the security of fifth place and a Europa League spot. It will be of little consolation after the minimum target set in pre-season was a top-four slot. “I’ve said at the beginning of the season (the aim) is to finish as high as we possibly can,” said Rodgers. “That is the aim for the game. Our season doesn’t finish until the whistle blows on Sunday.
February 14, 2020 City has been transformed into an English soccer power in the decade since being bought by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates and a member of Abu Dhabi’s royal family, winning the Premier League four times since 2012. City has endured a problematic title defense on the field, sitting second in the Premier League 22 points behind Liverpool. ___More AP soccer https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The UEFA statement on Friday did not reference any specifics of the evidence that led to the punishment In 2015, Der Spiegel said emails were being sent internally at City showing the manipulation of sponsorship revue from Etihad Airways, the state-owned airline from Abu Dhabi, which is the naming rights sponsor of City’s stadium and training campus as well as appearing on jerseys. The sponsorship was said to generate 67.5 million pounds (about $85 million) annually for City. But City’s holding company — the state-backed Abu Dhabi United Group — channeled 59.9 million pounds back to Etihad, according to Jorge Chumillas, the club’s chief financial officer, in an internal email to club director Simon Pearce.The leaks showed how City allegedly tried to artificially raise its revenue, in one case by 30 million euros, according to emails from 2013 reported by Der Spiegel. Abu Dhabi United Group was alleged to be sending cash to a shell vehicle which was created to supposedly buy the right to use players’ images in marketing campaigns.There were further examples that Sheikh Mansour could have been the source of sponsorship revenue for Abu Dhabi state-owned companies like investment firm Aabar. Der Spiegel cited a 2010 email to Aabar from Pearce, the City director who also works for Abu Dhabi’s Executive Affairs Authority. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditLONDON (AP) — English Premier League champion Manchester City was banned by UEFA from the Champions League for two seasons on Friday for “serious breaches” of spending rules in a seismic ruling against one of world football’s wealthiest clubs.The Abu Dhabi-owned team was also fined 30 million euros ($33 million) after an investigation that was sparked by leaks showing City overstated sponsorship revenue in a bid to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations.The punishment prevents City from playing in any European competition, including the Europa League, until the 2022-23 season. It could have a significant impact on the club’s ability to sign players and retain manager Pep Guardiola, whose contract expires next season. “As we discussed, the annual direct obligation for Aabar is GBP 3 million,” Pearce wrote. “The remaining 12 million GBP requirement will come from alternative sources provided by His Highness.”City has already been punished by UEFA for violating FFP, striking an agreement in 2014 that saw the team fined rather than banned from the Champions League for inflated sponsorship deals with companies linked to the club or its ownership.A leaked 2014 email from City lawyer Simon Cliff to a colleague showed the death of UEFA’s lead FFP investigator being celebrated: “1 down, 6 to go.”Since July 2011, UEFA has monitored the accounts of all clubs entering its two club competitions in a bid to curb unfettered spending on players regardless of the owners’ wealth.The first period UEFA assessed clubs for compliance with FFP was 2011-13, when owners were allowed to cover losses up to 45 million euros. “The adjudicatory chamber, having considered all the evidence, has found that Manchester City Football Club committed serious breaches of the UEFA club licensing and financial fair play regulations by overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016,” UEFA said in a statement. City, which has yet to win the European Cup, plays Real Madrid in the round of 16 this month.City said it would appeal against the sanctions, criticizing a “flawed” process.“This is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA,” the club said. “With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity.”City has never disputed the authenticity of the information contained in internal emails that were published by German media outlet Der Spiegel in October 2018 and shows alleged schemes by the club to allegedly cover up the true source of income in a bid to comply with FFP. Associated Press UEFA bans Man City from Champions League for 2 seasons