H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: Public concern over vaccine, effective Chinese vaccine, Tamiflu resistance in Taiwan, vaccine option in Canada

first_imgOctober 22, 2009Poll shows growing flu concern, uncertainty about vaccineAmericans are more concerned about pandemic H1N1 flu than they were a couple of months ago, with about 52% saying they are greatly or somewhat worried, according to the latest Washington Post–ABC poll. The number is up 13 percentage points from August. However, only about a third say they’ll get the vaccine, though half said they’ll have their kids vaccinated. Those saying they’ll pass on the vaccine listed side-effect worries and perceived lack of testing as influencing their decision.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/postpoll_101909.htmlOct 15-18 Washington Post–ABC News PollSingle dose of Chinese H1N1 vaccine found effectiveIn a clinical trial, a single 15-microgram dose of a nonadjuvanted H1N1 vaccine recently licensed in China was found to induce a probably protective immune response in volunteers between the ages of 12 and 60, according to an report published yesterday by the New England Journal of Medicine. Lesser immune responses were seen with a single dose in younger and older people. The vaccine is made by Hualan Biological Bacterin Co.http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/NEJMoa0908535Oct 21 NEJM reportCanada’s pandemic vaccine campaign will have an unadjuvanted optionCanada has purchased 1.8 million doses of unadjuvanted pandemic H1N1 vaccine to use in the youngest children as well as pregnant women and others who might want an alternative to the adjuvanted version, the Canadian Press reported yesterday. Canada’s adjuvanted vaccine was approved on Oct 16. Officials predict that the unadjuvanted vaccine will be cleared in early November, but they don’t want people to wait for it even though experts say it may produce a more robust response in children under age 3.Doctors report rhabdomyolysis in pandemic flu patientAustralian physicians have documented a rare complication in a patient with pandemic H1N1 flu, myositis, and rhabdomyolysis. They reported their findings in an early online edition of the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. According to a news report today about the study, the 16-year-old boy experienced intense muscle pain and nearly black urine 3 days after his flu symptoms began in June when the first wave of the pandemic hit Australia. He recovered after 8 days in the hospital.http://journals.lww.com/pidj/Abstract/publishahead/Melting_Muscles__Novel_H1N1_Influenza_A_Associated.99512.aspxOct 16 PIDJ abstractTamiflu treatment spawned resistance in Taiwan H1N1 caseTaiwan reported this week that the pandemic H1N1 virus became resistant to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) after a patient was treated with the drug. Oseltamivir-sensitive H1N1 was isolated from a 20-year-old man before treatment, the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control said. Three days later, after treatment began, an isolate from the man showed the resistance mutation. The man recovered, and there was no evidence that the virus spread to others. His case marked Taiwan’s first report of H1N1 resistance to the agent.http://www.cdc.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=26002&ctNode=960&mp=5Oct 20 Taiwan CDC reportFlu control measures seem to reduce other diseases in BoliviaHealth officials in Bolivia say a massive campaign to promote handwashing to prevent H1N1 flu seems to have reduced the spread of other common diseases, according to a Time magazine report. Dr. Rene Lenis, Bolivia’s director of epidemiology, reported a 10% to 15% drop in incidence of acute diarrheal diseases in all age-groups this year compared with last year. Public health agencies began promoting handwashing when the virus emerged in April.http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1931223,00.html?xid=rss-topstoriesOct 22 Time reportEgyptian capital cuts class sizes to curb flu spreadEgypt’s health and education ministries have ordered schools in Cairo to halve class sizes to slow the spread of the pandemic virus, IRIN News, a United Nations publication, reported today. Children will attend school on 3 alternate days instead of 6 double-shift days, a variation on a long-standing system to reduce crowding. The World Health Organization has said school closures can be disruptive and has recommended that schools take other preventive measures, such as easing crowding.http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=86695Oct 22 IRIN storylast_img read more

Continue reading

EPL: Wounded Reds feast on Bournemouth

first_imgRelatedPosts Suarez agrees Atletico terms Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Liverpool vs. Bournemouth Venue: Anfield Stadium Kick off: 1:30PMLiverpool will be looking to return to winning ways after an uncharacteristically poor spell of form when they welcome relegation-threatened Bournemouth to Anfield at lunchtime. Jurgen Klopp’s side have lost three of their last four games across all competitions but are firm favourites to get their campaign back on track against a Bournemouth side who sit inside the bottom three with 10 games of the season remaining. After a season of winning week after week and breaking records left, right and centre, Liverpool have finally suffered a slump in form since returning from the winter break. Debate as to whether Klopp’s side deserve to be regarded as among the best teams in English football history has been put on hold following a week in which they have seen their hopes of matching Arsenal’s Invincibles and Manchester United’s treble-winners ended. Tuesday night’s 2-0 FA Cup defeat at Stamford Bridge means that there are just two trophies left for Liverpool to fight for this season, and it may be difficult for the players to avoid having one eye on the must-win Champions League return leg against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday night. While their defence of the European crown remains up in the air, it still seems like only a matter of time before they regain their place as the champions of England, 30 years after lifting their 18th and most recent title. Last weekend’s shock 3-0 defeat to Watford – a result which statistically ranks among the biggest upsets in Premier League history – was undoubtedly a setback, but one which is unlikely to have a telling impact on the end result of the campaign with Liverpool still needing just 12 more points to guarantee the title. The loss does mean that they may not be able to wrap things up as early as they might have hoped, but if the top two continue to win from now on, then it means Liverpool would have the chance to clinch the title at the home of the current champions Manchester City on April 5. Regardless of the seemingly inevitable destination of the Premier League trophy, the recent defeats have thrown up issues which need correcting for Liverpool, most notably a sudden vulnerability in defence, which has seen Klopp’s side concede seven goals in their last three outings. Discounting the EFL Cup tie against Aston Villa when the Under-23 side played, that is as many goals as Liverpool had shipped in their previous 20 matches before then. It is the first time since August 2016 that Liverpool have conceded two or more goals in three consecutive games, and almost all of them have been down to individual defensive errors. There is also a concern at the other end considering the three recent defeats have all seen Liverpool fail to score; the Chelsea match was different as they created plenty of chances, but against both Atletico Madrid and Watford they looked short of ideas in the attacking third and managed only one shot on target in those two games combined. Indeed, the Watford loss was the first time Klopp’s side had drawn a blank in the league since March 2019 – 36 games ago – while they have not failed to score in successive top-flight outings since May 2018. Of course, the recent slump must be kept in the context of what has still been a season the likes of which we may never see again, but failure to pick up all three points against Bournemouth on Saturday would crank the pressure up a few more notches, particularly ahead of Atletico’s visit. Returning to Anfield should help them, though; while Liverpool have now lost three successive away games for the first time since November 2014, they have won their last 21 league outings in front of their own fans and are unbeaten in 54 stretching all the way back to April 2017. Another victory today would see Klopp’s class of 2019-20 surpass Bill Shankly’s 1972 team in terms of most consecutive home wins in English top-flight history, and given Bournemouth’s recent troubles on the road it would be another major surprise if that did not happen. The Cherries make the trip to Anfield having lost each of their last five away outings and eight of their last nine in the top flight, while no team have lost more games on their travels this season. Matters are more encouraging at home, where Bournemouth have only lost one of their last five league games, but their away form does not appear to put them in the best position to take advantage of a Liverpool side showing more signs of mortality than at any other stage of the campaign. Eddie Howe’s side have now slipped into the relegation zone despite faring better than Liverpool did against Chelsea in their last outing, earning a 2-2 draw against Frank Lampard’s side having scored twice in the space of three second-half minutes. Watford’s victory over Liverpool ensured that Bournemouth would end the weekend in the bottom three, incidentally, and Howe will no doubt be looking at the Hornets’ blueprint for inspiration of how to pull off a similar shock. Nigel Pearson’s side were similarly written off before ending the joint-longest winning run and second-longest unbeaten streak in English top-flight history, going on to record the biggest victory by a team inside the bottom three over top of the league since 1985. Emulating that achievement at Anfield is a much tougher test, of course, but the result will have at least given Bournemouth some belief, while Liverpool’s veil of invincibility has undoubtedly slipped in recent weeks. The Cherries may also draw encouragement from the fact that they have beaten both Chelsea and Manchester United already this season, although a visit to Anfield is an entirely different proposition right now. Bournemouth are likely to need one or two surprise results during the run-in, though, with Howe’s side still due to face six of the current top seven in their final 10 games of the campaign. Liverpool possible XI: Adrian, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino, Mane. Bournemouth possible XI: Ramsdale, Stacey, S Cook, Ake, Smith, Billing, Lerma, L Cook, Fraser, C Wilson, King.Tags: Atletico MadridChelseaFA CupJurgen KloppManchester CityNigel PearsonUEFA Champions LeagueWatfordlast_img read more

Continue reading

Wellington girls softball team crank out 28 hits in doubleheader sweep of Rose Hill; boys lose badly

first_img Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — The Wellington girls softball team swept Rose Hill, but the boys were swept by the Rockets on the road, Thursday.Wellington girls beat Rose Hill 13-8 in game one. The Lady Crusaders then beat the Rockets 11-1. Wellington is now 7-1.The Crusaders were dominant behind the plate, getting 30 hits throughout the doubleheader. In the first game, Wellington would whack out 17 hits to Rose Hill’s 1. In game two, freshman Brooke McCorkle would shut Rose Hill out on the mound allowing two hits, while the Lady Dukes on the other end were producing 13 hits.It was a good win for the Crusaders against the traditional power in softball.After two scoreless innings, Wellington scored four runs in the top of the third. Avery Rusk singled, McCorkle singled, Erin Goodrum doubled and Jacelyn Buck singled.Wellington added three runs in the fourth on a 2 RBI R. Buck triple and McCorkle RBI single. Wellington would score two runs in the top of the fifth and seventh inning.Lewellen was the winning pitcher with five strikeouts and no walks, even though she gave up 15 hits.In the second game, Madi Adams scored a home run in the top of the third to give the Lady Dukes a 1-0 lead. Wellington then broke open a very close 1-0 contest in the top of the fifth with five runs thanks to a two-run double by J. Buck and a two-run triple by Abby Goodrum.Wellington added three runs in the sixth on Bailey DeJarnett and Buck doubles.McCorkle would allow just two hits and two walks in seven innings pitched. She struck out four.GAME 1: Wellington 13 Rose Hill 8WHS   0 0 4 3 3 0 3     13 17 0RHHS 0 0 1 3 3 1 0       8 15 1WP Lewellen 7I 15H 8R 8ER 5K 0BB 1HBP.LP DockRusk 3/5 3R 1RBI 1DBLB DeJarnett 1/4 1R 1RBI 1DBL 1SACR Buck 3/4 3R 3RBI 1BB 1DBL 1TRIPLEMcCorkle 2/4 1R 1RBI 1BBE Goodrum 4/5 1R 4RBI 1DBLJ Buck 1/5 2RBIZimmerman 0/3 1BBLewellen 1/3 1BBA Goodrum 2RAdams 2/4 2R 1RBI 1TRIPLEGAME 2: Wellington 11 Rose Hill 1WHS   0 0 1 1 5 3 1     11 13 0RHHS 0 0 0 1 0 0 0      1  2   1WP McCorkle 7I 2H 1R 1ER 4K 2BBLP E AdlerRusk 1/5 1R 1SBB DeJarnett 2/5 1R 1RBI 2DBLR Buck 2/3 3R 1RBI 1BB 1DBL 1TRIPLE 1HBP 2SBMcCorkle 1/3 1RBI 1BB 1HBPZimmerman 1RE Goodrum 1/4 1R 1RBI 1BBJ Buck 2/4 2R 1RBIA Goodrum 2/3 1R 2RBI 1BB 1TRIPLELewellen 0/3 1SAC 1ROEAdams 2/4 1R 2RBI 1HR. ———The Wellington boys had a rough go against the eighth ranked Rockets, scoring just two runs while giving up 27 runs. The first game was especially ugly as Rose Hill scored two runs in the first, nine runs in the second and four runs in the third. The Rockets had 17 hits. Wellington had one run on three errors. In game two, it was better but not by much. Rose Hill scored two runs in the first, five runs in the second and four runs in the third. The Rockets had just seven hits but Wellington had an amazing eight errors. Wellington combined for 11 errors in the doubleheader – not a good sign.Follow us on Twitter.last_img read more

Continue reading