By Apr 10, only 25 patients still remained in the hospital, 9 of them on respirators, the CDC noted. None of the 163 patients died. A study assessing the outcomes of some of the cases is ongoing, the agency noted. The bamboo shoots had been produced locally by a women’s group, the CDC wrote. They were processed in large containers that held roughly 26 pounds each. Most of the 53 cans made in September 2005 were sold locally. No other outbreaks have been recorded since those cans were produced. Thai health officials quickly traced the outbreak to a Mar 14 religious rite in Nawaimai Village, Pakaluang subdistrict, Baan Luang district of Nan Province, the report said. Investigators interviewed 145 of the 200 people who had attended the festival about their food intake. The only food in common was home-canned bamboo shoots, which are often eaten with chili and shrimp paste. The report said the outbreak occurred 8 years after a smaller botulism outbreak that also was associated with home-canned bamboo shoots. Following that episode, information on safe canning was disseminated throughout the country. Mar 22 CIDRAP News story on outbreakhttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/fs/food-disease/news/mar2206botu.html Antitoxin was not available in Thailand, so Thai officials sought help from several international partners. The United Kingdom (with support form the World Health Organization) sent 20 vials of heptavalent antitoxin; CDC sent 50 vials of bivalent antitoxin; and the National Institute of Infectious Diseases in Japan sent 23 vials of trivalent antitoxin. A Canadian company sold Thailand an additional 10 vials of bivalent antitoxin. Apr 18, 2006 (CIDRAP News) The recent outbreak of botulism poisoning traced to bamboo shoots served at a religious festival in Thailand sickened 163 people, according to a report by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). “This recurrence 8 years later indicates the importance of long-term follow up and continuous inspection and assurance of the quality of food canning,” the CDC said. CDC. Botulism from home-canned bamboo shootsNan Province, Thailand, March 2006. MMWR 2006: 55(14) 389-92 [Full text] Of that number, 141 patients had to be hospitalized, and 10 more were treated as outpatients. A majority experienced abdominal pain, dry mouth, and/or nausea. Forty-two of the hospitalized patients needed mechanical ventilation, the CDC said in the Apr 14 issue of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. See also:
Comment Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang delighted for Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli after Arsenal tie down young duo Tom OlverTuesday 7 Jul 2020 4:17 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.6kShares Saka signed a bumper new deal with Arsenal last week (Picture: Getty)The teenage duo are regarded as two of the finest young players in Premier League football and Mikel Arteta will no doubt be relieved to have tied them both down this summer.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTBut Arteta will still be sweating over Aubameyang’s contract situation, with the striker’s current deal due to expire in 12 months’ time. Speaking to Arsenal’s official matchday programme ahead of tonight’s clash with Leicester, Aubameyang said: ‘It was great for the club that Bukayo and Gabi signed new contracts last week.‘They have made a big, big impact at the club even though they are only teenagers.‘Particularly for Bukayo, it must be amazing to sign that contract and think back to when he first put on an Arsenal shirt in the academy when I think he was only six or seven.‘Both of them are such impressive players already, they have so much to their games – as Bukayo showed with that brilliant goal on Saturday when he just guided it in so nicely.’ Aubameyang is yet to commit his future to the Gunners (Picture: Getty)Aubameyang, who took a little longer to prove himself at the top level, is convinced Arsenal’s current crop of youngsters have the ‘mature attributes’ to succeed in first-team football.‘It’s funny for me looking back because at 18 I was really raw, there was a lot more for me to learn and it took me a few years to really see all of my potential.‘But these boys – and you can say the same about Joe and Eddie too – they already seem to have lots of mature attributes.‘And the great thing is that they are making an impression at the highest level now, but the key is that they are hungry to work hard and really want to learn more and get better and better.’Will Aubameyang sign a new deal at Arsenal?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page.MORE: Ray Parlour makes prediction for Arsenal’s Premier League clash with LeicesterMORE: Emiliano Martinez praises Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta’s ruthlessness amid Matteo Guendouzi saga Advertisement Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli have both really impressed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Picture: Getty)Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is delighted that Arsenal have managed to secure new long-term contracts for Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli and says both youngsters have proven themselves to be ‘such impressive players’ since breaking into the first-team.Saka, 18, put an end to the uncertainty surrounding his future as he signed a lucrative four-year deal with the Gunners before scoring in the side’s 2-0 victory at Wolves.Martinelli, 19, was next to commit his future to the north London club as he followed Saka in putting pen to paper on a four-year extension at the Emirates. Advertisement
As the list is prune to 10, the only Nigerian who made the cut is Odion Ighalo, the top scorer at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations who also features for Chinese clubside,Shanghai Shenhua.However, Ighalo has a packed field to contest with when a further cut is made, possibly from 10 to five and later to the top three.Among those jostling are the usual top three suspects, Mohamed Salah of Egypt and Liverpool, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Gabon and Arsenal as well as Sadio Mane of Senegal and Liverpool.Also in contention is the man whose prowess wrecked Nigeria in the Africa Cup of Nations’ semifinal, Riyad Mahrez of Algeria and Manchester City.Still in contention areAndré Onana of Cameroon and Ajax, Hakim Ziyech of Morocco and Ajax, Ismail Bennacer of Algeria and AC Milan, Kalidou Koulibaly of Senegal and Napoli as well as Youcef Belaili of Algeria and Ahli Jeddah.According to a press release by CAF, the current shortlist of 10 is the result of conclusion of the first phase of the voting which was done by CAF Technical & Development Committee and a panel of media experts with emphasis on the nominees’ performance of during the year under review, 2019.The final phase of voting for the men’s and women’s African Player of the Year, as well as the male and female Coach of the Year, will be selected by Head Coaches/Technical Directors and Captains of senior national teams from CAF Member Associations.In the African Women’s Player of the Year, two Nigerian players also dropped out from the original 10 released last month.With the list now reduced to five, only Asisat Oshoala made the cut as Uchenna Kanu and Chiamaka Nnadozie are eliminated.The women footballers still in contention are: Ajara Nchout (Cameroon & Valerenga), Asisat Oshoala (Nigeria & Barcelona, Gabrielle Onguene (Cameroon & CSKA Moscow), Tabitha Chawinga (Malawi & Jiangsu Suning), Thembi Kgatlana (South Africa & Beijing Phoenix FC).Expectedly, no Nigerian footballer is in the list of Interclubs Player of the Year as a result of poor showing of Nigerian clubs in the continents.Those in contention are; Anice Badri (Tunisia & Esperance), Kodjo Fo Doh Laba (Togo & RS Berkane / Al Ain), Taha Yassine Khenissi (Tunisia & Esperance), Tarek Hamed (Egypt & Zamalek) and Youcef Belaïli (Algeria & Esperance / Ahli Jeddah)The Interclubs Player of the Year, it was gathered, will be decided upon by the Head Coaches and Captains of the group phase of the current season of CAF Interclubs competitions.The remaining shortlists of award categories are:In the Youth Player of the Year category included , Achraf Hakimi (Morocco & Borussia Dortmund), Krépin Diatta (Senegal & Club Brugge), Moussa Djenepo (Mali & Southampton), Samuel Chukwueze (Nigeria & Villarreal), Victor Osimhen (Nigeria & Lille)The award winners for each category will be announced during the CAF Awards ceremony on Tuesday, 7 January 2020, at the Albatros Citadel Sahl Hasheesh, Hurghada, Egypt.The event will celebrate African footballers and officials who have distinguished themselves during 2019. There will also be several new award categories in recognition of exceptional contributions to African football and inspiring individuals.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Odion Ighalo Femi Solaja with agency reportFormer Super Eagles striker and highest goal scorer at the last AFCON 2019 in Egypt, Odion Jude Ighalo is the only Nigerian in the final 10-man shortlist for the prestigious African Footballer of the Year awards.In the the same vein, the duo of Wilfred Ndidi and Victor Osimhen are no longer in contention for the ceremony after dropping out of the original 30-man shortlist compiled by CAF.