Gianfranco Zola predicts where Chelsea will finish in Premier League under Frank Lampard

first_img About Connatix V67539 Advertisement Full Screen (Picture: Twitter)ICYMI: Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola, who was Maurizio Sarri’s assistant manager at Stamford Bridge last season, claims the Blues WON’T make the top 4 this season.#beINPL #CFC pic.twitter.com/ZdLYRZUckh— beIN SPORTS (@beINSPORTS) August 10, 2019 Comment Video Settings Gianfranco Zola has predicted where Chelsea will finish under Frank Lampard (Picture: Getty)Gianfranco Zola expects Chelsea to drop two places in the Premier League table in Frank Lampard’s first season in charge.The Blues largely impressed last term under former manager Maurizio Sarri and assistant Zola, amassing 72 points to finish third in the Premier League.Sarri left Stamford Bridge shortly after the 2018-19 campaign ended to join Italian champions Juventus and club legend Lampard was named as his replacement.Lampard impressed in his first season in management, taking Derby County to the Championship play-off final where the Rams were beaten by Aston Villa.ADVERTISEMENT Gianfranco Zola predicts where Chelsea will finish in Premier League under Frank Lampardcenter_img 1 min. story Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 10 Aug 2019 10:26 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link767Shares More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City The former England manager is working under a transfer ban and will struggle to guide Chelsea to a top-four finish, according to Zola.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘It will be very close,’ the Italian legend told beIN SPORTS. ‘I think it will be a real fight for the final Champions League spot.’Chelsea begin their 2019-20 campaign on Sunday with a trip to Old Trafford to face Manchester United, who finished sixth in the Premier League last season.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesOn Chelsea’s transfer ban and the new season, Lampard said: ‘We have to remain competitive while we are in this position.‘With the ban it has been easy to write off this squad, and I don’t write off this squad at all.‘I think that what is important is that you have a target within the group. What matters is how we approach things. We will see how we go.’MORE: Liverpool consider offering contract to free agent after Alisson injury scare PLAY Advertisementlast_img read more

Continue reading

Malcom questions Barcelona training methods – ‘only 40-50 minutes’

first_img Loading… Zenit Saint Petersburg forward Malcom has questioned Barcelona’s training methods and hinted he lost a lot of fitness at the Catalan giants.Advertisement Malcom joined Zenit from the Blaugrana last year and has revealed he was ‘used to only 40-50 minutes of training’ at the Camp Nou, whilst now it is more intense for him. The forward player was on the books of the Catalan club last season and scored four goals in 24 appearances – with his most famous strike coming against Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-finals, while he also netted against Inter in the Champions League.However, the 22-year-old started just six La Liga games for Barcelona following a €41m summer switch from Bordeaux in 2018 before moving to Russia last summer.“At Zenit we are doing a double session, the truth is that here we train much more, that’s why I got injured! At Barça I was used to only 40-50 minutes of training,” Malcom told the Què t’hi jugues show, as cited by Diario Sport.It follows a report last month in L’Equipe, as outlined by Diario Sport, in which the reputable French sports newspaper criticised how Barcelona have handled Ousmane Dembele’s physical conditioning.The main argument is that Barcelona’s training programme is not physically preparing Dembele for matches – it uses data that in training, only 20% of his runs are sprints but in matches this figure is closer to 90%.Read Also: Rooney decides Messi vs Ronaldo debate over who is betterMalcom was set to join Roma from the French club before the Blaugrana moved at the eleventh hour to steal the deal, although then boss Ernesto Valverde did not grant him sufficient first-team opportunities.One of the reported reasons for the Catalan giants being willing to sell Malcom last summer was he took up one of just three non-EU spots in the squad, while they were also desperate to balance their books financially.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes7 Things That Actually Ruin Your PhoneCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?7 Theories About The Death Of Our UniverseWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?This Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By OdeithTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeThailand’s 10 Most Iconic Landmarkslast_img read more

Continue reading

Home loss to Proteas galvanises Australia, says Warner

first_imgBENGALURU, India (Reuters) – Australia’s defeat in the home series against South Africa helped them galvanise, opening batsman David Warner said yesterday ahead of the second Test against India.Australian cricket plunged into a crisis after a 3-0 whitewash in Sri Lanka was followed by successive home defeats to South Africa.After a national outcry forced wholesale changes, Steve Smith’s men recovered by winning the final Test against South Africa in Adelaide before beating Pakistan 3-0.In Pune, they took just two-and-a-half days to secure a first Test triumph in India since 2004, handing out a 333-run thumping to a side that had gone 20 Tests without tasting defeat on home soil.“It was obviously quite painful, that loss at home. South Africa outplayed us, but we’ve moved on from that and Smudge (Smith) got us all together and we galvanised well,” Warner told reporters ahead of Saturday’s second Test.“I think it takes a loss like that at home sometimes to really get guys going. It’s not that we needed that, it’s just the fact it’s a bit of a reality check that you can have one bad session, and it can be taken away from you even on home soil.”Warner made 38 and 10 in Pune but opening partner Matt Renshaw made an eventful India debut as Australia went 1-0 up in the four-match series.The 20-year-old battled a stomach bug and raced off the ground while batting to take a toilet break. He returned to hit 68 and then another 31 in the second on a difficult pitch for batting.“He played fantastic,” Warner said. “It could have been a different story if he stayed out there or he didn’t come off but the way he played and the way he adapted from coming off, being sick and going back out there was credit to him.“We’ve never seen him play in these conditions as well, so we know how he can play and that’s the good thing about this game.”last_img read more

Continue reading