Silver expects NBA players to stand during national anthem

first_imgGervacio mends fences with Suzara as she returns to Foton in PSL Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Silver said the playing of the national anthem has always been a time for respect and reflection — even in a league where 25 percent of the players are not American — and recalled that many teams locked arms last season.He wants them to continue showing unity during the anthem — but to do it while standing.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“It’s been a rule as long as I’ve been involved with the league, and my expectation is that our players will continue to stand for the anthem,” he said.Silver didn’t say what would happen if any players refuse to stand, adding: “If that were to happen, we’ll deal with it when it happens.” “I felt it was corrosive to this league,” he said.The second-worst team has a 19.9 percent to win the lottery and the third seed a 15.6 percent chance under the current format that will remain through next June’s draft.The board voted to allow Silver to fine teams who violate the league’s new guidelines about resting players. Teams can’t sit healthy players for high-profile, nationally televised games, and fines for violating that can be for at least $100,000.The rules also say that unless there are unusual circumstances, teams should not rest multiple healthy players for the same game or rest healthy players when playing on the road.The league office had long resisted getting involved in coaches’ decisions about resting players. But with its national TV partners paying the league billions, Silver felt he had to act after LeBron James and stars from the Golden State Warriors sat out nationally televised games last season.“It’s not a position we want the league to be in,” Silver said. “It ultimately is my hope that the rules go in the drawer and that teams step up here and see that there is a larger obligation to our fans, to the basketball community.”The board also talked about current events, meeting less than a week after President Donald Trump opted against inviting the Warriors to the White House after All-Star Stephen Curry said he didn’t want to go.Trump had criticized NFL players for their anthem protests in a speech the night before, and hundreds responded in games Sunday and Monday by kneeling during the anthem.Silver thinks NBA players have other opportunities, either by continuing their community service efforts or through the media, to make their voices heard.“I’m hoping once again that this league can play a constructive role there,” Silver said. He spoke following the NBA’s Board of Governors meetings, during which owners passed rules designed to prevent healthy players from sitting out games, and teams from losing games on purpose to improve their draft position.Under the new draft lottery rules, the teams with the three worst records will all have 14 percent odds to land the No. 1 pick when the changes are implemented with the 2019 draft.The team with the worst record previously had 25 percent odds to win the lottery and could fall to the No. 4 spot in the draft. Now that team call tumble all the way to fifth.The lottery changes were to discourage tanking, the practice of losing games on purpose in an effort to improve draft odds. The Philadelphia 76ers relied on the tactic heavily in recent years and the league felt it needed to step in and urge teams to always be competitive.Silver felt teams had even begun feeling pressure to use the strategy of fielding poor squads and building through the draft.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES DAY6 is for everybody Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-upcenter_img View comments NBA Commissioner Adam Silver speaks during a news conference, Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017 in New York. (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)NEW YORK — Adam Silver expects NBA players to continue standing for the national anthem.Not only because it’s a league rule, but because they are aware of what it means in what the commissioner believes is a divided America.“Many of our players have spoken out already about their plan to stand for the anthem,” Silver said Thursday. “And I think they understand how divisive an issue it is in our society right now.”ADVERTISEMENT How to help the Taal evacuees In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson MOST READlast_img read more

Continue reading

RETIRED FARMER FOUND NOT GUILTY OF SEXUALLY ABUSING HIS NEPHEW

first_imgA retired farmer has been found not guilty of sexually abusing his nephew in a holiday home in Downings.Retired farmer Sam Cunningham was found not guilty of sexually assaulting his nephew.Samuel Cunningham, 66, was accused of four counts of sexual assault against his then 14 year old nephew at a holiday home in Rosguill in 1993. The alleged victim, Patrick Cunningham, now a 35 father-of-four, claimed he was assaulted when he went to do repairs with his uncle on the holiday home at Rosguill, Downings.Patrick Cunningham says he was fondled and that his uncle performed oral sex on him at the farmhouse.However Samuel Cunningham stressed “There is no way on this earth I would have done that to any young person. If I thought I had done that I would have taken myself out the back and shot myself.”Today after 50 minutes of deliberation, a jury of eight men and four women found the accused not guilty on all four charges of alleged sexual assault.When the verdict was read out, Patrick Cunningham’s family sobbed in the court.The alleged victim, who waived his right to anonymity, had claimed the alleged sexual assaults were sparked when water was splashed on his trousers when they were fetching water from a well.“He told me to take off my clothes because I would get a flu. He then made a makeshift bed on a sofa.“He said there were only a few blankets in the house and told me to get in beside him,” he said.Mr Cunningham then alleged the four assaults took place.Sobbing in the witness box at Letterkenny Circuit Court, he said he counted flowers on some curtains to block out the pain.Patrick Cunningham said he kept the alleged assaults to himself until a number of years later when he told his cousin Seamus.He said he became introverted after the alleged assaults.He also partially blamed the assaults for falling in with the wrong crowd and eventually being convicted of two armed robberies in Northern Ireland.However he said he used his time in jail constrictively to study and became the first prisoner to get day leave to study for a diploma in Environmental Science at university.However the accused, Sam Cunningham, denied that any such assaults ever took place between December 1st, 1993 and January 31st, 1994.In fact, the retired farmer from Glenside Road, Dunmurray in Belfast, said he always spent the New Year period at his late wife Rose’s family home in Cavan.He alleged that his own son Francis along with the alleged victim Patrick and his cousin Seamus had now formed a “team.“This is the worst thing I have ever witnessed. The devastation to the family who have been turned upside down has ben unbelievable.“The only thing I can think of is that the want to keep me away form my farm,” he said.A niece of Mr Sam Cunningham, Mrs Doreen Robinson, said she does not believe the holiday home was even in the possession of the family claiming it had been sold in 1992She also said she not believe the allegations against her uncle.“I don’t believe it. A paedophile does it over and over again and doesn’t stop after just once,” she said.RETIRED FARMER FOUND NOT GUILTY OF SEXUALLY ABUSING HIS NEPHEW was last modified: April 8th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue reading