Minister Kamara and others inspect the RIA expansion workThe Minister of Finance and Development Planning (MFDP), Boima S. Kamara, along with other senior government officials of the ministry, on Wednesday, July 12 toured the ongoing major renovation of the Roberts International Airport (RIA).The renovation and expansion include extensive works on the runway and the erection of a new, modern terminal along with road stations, parking lots, sewage treatment system, electricity systems and other major key components at the airport.Minister Kamara, who spoke yesterday at the RIA after the tour, praised the courageous leadership of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who he said braved the storm to ensure that the rebuilding of the airport becomes a reality.During the tour, the MFDP boss lauded the head of the China Harbor Company, the Sinohydro Construction Company, as well as the management of the Roberts International Airport headed by Mr. Wil Bako Freeman and staff, for the tremendous efforts and level of work done since the commencement of the project.Commending the “one team approach” being used, the Finance Minister said, “we want to say the horizon is bright and we now see a beam of hope. We shall all be well, God shall keep us to see this dream come true. We shall live it, experience it and be a part of it when the final completion work is done and be dedicated.”The project when completed will indeed be a major boost to Liberia’s economic development.A representative of the China Harbor Contractors indicated that more than 125 Liberians (four of them engineers trained at the Tubman University in Maryland County) were hired to join other contractors from China to work as a team in order to deliver the task given them by the Government of Liberia.The managing director of the Liberia Airport Authority (LAA), Wil Bako Freeman, also said that there are too many things that need to be done to improve the airport facilities, “but right now, we are trying to focus on two—the runway and the terminal.”He said, “The reason we are trying to undertake these projects at the airport is to ensure that under my administration, RIA becomes one of the best and most modernized airports. Many of us travel every day and see other airports in different countries, we get quite embarrassed, especially when we think of our own back home—the RIA, that needs to be improved and standardized.”Meanwhile, the runway project is being financed by several international banks to the tune of US$60 million. They include the European Investment Bank, US$27 million; the Saudi Fund, US$20 million; the Arab Bank for Development in Africa, US$10 million; and the government of Liberia, US$3 million. The runway project will take four years to complete.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Right2Water activist Philip McFadden has applauded Dublin TD Eoin O’Broin’s speech in the Dáil last week where he called for water to come into public ownership.In his speech, O’Broin said “a majority of voters want water charges scrapped and a majority of deputies in this house want water charges scraped, yet the government’s discredited water charges regime limps on.”He goes on to assert that it is time that it is time to end the “circus that is the debate on water charges.” He commended water activists, and applauded those who traveled to Dublin for the Right2Water demonstration in Dublin at the end of September, saying the protesters reminded the government that the water charge issue “hasn’t gone away.”He concluded by saying that this is “oldschool, dishonest, and cynical Fianna Fail politics at its very worst.”Philip McFadden commented on O’Broin’s speech saying; “Right2Water are 100% behind the Sinn Fein Right2Change motion to abolish water charges. Fianna Fail were elected in the last general election to abolish water charges, so why are they not getting rid of them now? We do not need a commission to get rid of water charges; 70% of TDs in the Dáil have a mandate to Abolish Water charges.”McFadden wishes to encourage Donegal’s politicians to “do the bidding of their electorate.” Water charge activist applauds TD’s speech in Dáil was last modified: October 9th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Nate Douridas, Farm Science Review farm manager, talks with Ohio Ag Net’s Joel Penhorwood about this year’s unique planting season, especially as it pertains to the FSR’s needs with demonstration fields and more.
The Maharashtra government will tap into the vibrancy of the start-up ecosystem by launching a yatra to search for future entrepreneurs and unicorns in rural areas.Backward regionsThe month-long start-up yatra will be flagged off by the Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu and cover as many as 14 districts of Maharashtra, especially in the backwards regions of Vidarbha and Marathwada, officials said.A contingent of industrialists, bankers and investors will depart from Mumbai on October 3 and complete the month-long journey in the first week of November. “During the period we will hold boot camps looking for ideas and talent in the rural start-up system. The conclusion would be a two-day incubator camp in Mumbai,” said a State official.Rural outreachSenior officials said the yatra aims to support a start-up culture in the region, and at the same time reach out to the hinterland to “pick up start-ups”.The contingent will include representatives from 24 start-ups which have been shortlisted earlier this year to collaborate with the government to implement innovative projects.The state has already signed Letters of Intent with 24 start-ups for work orders worth ₹15 lakh as part of the Maharashtra Start up Week where over 2,000 participants made a pitch for their innovations at the event. The shortlisted start-ups are collaborating with the government over the next few months and work closely in areas such as infrastructure, healthcare, defence and the environment.As part of the State’s start-up policy, the rural outreach has been in the planning stage for a while, Minister for Labour and Skill Development Sambhaji Patil-Nilangekar said the most exciting part of the start-up week was, 18 of the 24 shortlisted firms are based in the rural regions of Maharashtra, and areas outside bigger cities. “We now want this start-up ecosystem to spread even to the rural areas,” he said.
Yuvraj Singh , who has recovered from a rare germ cell cancer, feels “honoured” that the BCCI has again sent his nomination for the prestigious Arjuna award and is hoping that he will be more lucky this time.”It’s an honour that BCCI has nominated my name for the Arjuna Award. This is the second time that my name has been nominated and I hope that I am lucky enough to get it,” Yuvraj told mediapersons at the launch of the “YouWeCan” — an initiative by Yuvraj Singh Foundation, to spread awareness about cancer detection.The BCCI has decided to nominate Yuvraj for the award .Incidentally, the BCCI’s decision came after a miscommunication with the Sports Ministry regarding the last date for filing the nomination form.The BCCI had alleged that they did not have an intimation about the nomination like earlier years, a claim which was strongly refuted by the Sports Ministry.However a couple of days back, the Joint Secretary in the Sports Ministry Mukul Chatterjee called up at the BCCI office to inform about the date of nomination being extended till July 20.Although Virat Kohli has been a standout performer last year, the BCCI has decided to nominate Yuvraj’s name since he is one of the seniormost cricketers who is yet to receive the award. His contemporaries like Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan and Gautam Gambhir have all received the award.
Congratulations to all of the winners of the 2015 Metro Cup grand finals on Saturday. Men’s PremierDodgers 7 defeated Country Club Colts 6Player of the Final – Ethan TaylorWomen’s PremierCountry Club Colts 5 defeated Southern Storm 4Player of the Final – Hayley MaddickMen’s Division OneDodgers 8 defeated Uni Rebels 2Player of the Final – Scott PrinceWomen’s Division OneSouthern Storm 9 defeated Country Club Colts 4Player of the Final – Bec GouldingMen’s Division TwoCountry Club Colts Senior 5 defeated Uni Rebels Junior 4Player of the Final – Jason CampbellWomen’s Division TwoUni Rebels Junior Gold 7 defeated Uni Rebels Senior Blue 3Player of the Final – Tegan Phillips To see highlights from finals day, please visit the Touch Football Australia YouTube channel – www.youtube.com/touchfootballaus.Related LinksMetro Cup Finals
Wolves set for Abraham deal – but Chelsea won’t consider immediate saleby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves are confident of closing a deal for Tammy Abraham – however Chelsea insist they do not want to lose the striker permanently.The Daily Mail says Abraham, currently on-loan at Aston Villa, is keen to play in the Premier League and Wolves want competition for Raul Jimenez. Chelsea, who have until January 14 to trigger his recall, are reluctant to agree to a sale now despite Wolves intimating they would be willing to offer around £18m.The Stamford Bridge club will wait to see how he performs.They are aware and know that his value could increase significantly by the summer if he does well. TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Allardyce responds to Everton boss Silva swipe: It wasn’t personal!by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Everton boss Sam Allardyce has responded to a swipe from Blues manager Marco Silva.Allardyce urged Silva to sway from his ‘attractive’ style of football after the Toffees suffered defeats to Brighton, Tottenham and Leicester over the festive period, prompting a backlash from his Goodison Park successor in a press conference.“I don’t expect him to listen to me!” Allardyce told talkSPORT.“I was generalising about Everton overall, I wasn’t having a pop at Marco Silva.“I was saying that in the end, look at the previous four managers of Everton, including myself – all of them have been dismissed for one reason or another.“Marco Silva hasn’t yet, but pressure on him will depend on where they are in the league and winning football matches.“The press man who asked the question probably didn’t put it how I said it in that interview.”Allardyce also remarked: “I think you play out from the back when it suits you, and if you doesn’t suit you, you don’t play out from the back.“Everton is the only place where results haven’t given me time to go and do a better job than I did last season.“At the end of the day, it wasn’t my team. I inherited that team.“I was doing the best I could with the tools I had available. Moving on from there, they’ve spent a lot of money again, and where will they end up this season? That’s building expectation by the amount of money they spent.“I think there’s only four players that played when I was there, all the others are new players that were brought in this season.“The players themselves have got to find out about each other as they play every week and maybe that’s why they aren’t getting the results that the Everton fans would expect.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
The GWEP is designed to provide work experience for graduates aged 17 to 24 years. The initiative was conceptualised due to the difficulty experienced by many graduates in finding employment because of a lack of previous experience. GWEP is meant to address the long standing issue of increasing the employability of inexperienced graduates. The National Youth Service (NYS) has rolled out its Graduate Work Experience Programme (GWEP), to address the long standing issue of increasing the employability of inexperienced graduates, who are seeking to enter the labour force.The GWEP, which was formally introduced by the NYS last week, is designed to provide work experience for graduates aged 17 to 24 years. These graduates will now have an opportunity to develop workplace skills, while increasing their self-confidence, by being able to complement their theoretical knowledge with practical work experience.Executive Director of the NYS, Melvin Smith, said the initiative was conceptualised due to the difficulty experienced by many graduates in finding employment because of a lack of previous experience.“We wanted to provide an avenue to assist graduates to gain some of this work experience, so they can be more readily and easily absorbed into the marketplace where jobs are available,” he explained.The six-month pilot was introduced in February with 11 persons. They were involved in four areas of operation at the NYS offices, mainly finance and accounts, marketing and communication, office management and procurement and programmes.“We provided the interns with valuable experience as well as empowerment sessions and engaged them in volunteerism, as part of an entire package preparing them for the world of work,” Mr. Smith said.Some of the 11 interns, he said, were able to obtain permanent jobs at private and public sector institutions, even before the end of the pilot programme, while a few opted to further their studies in their respective fields.“We believe the results have confirmed that it is a good programme that can be very useful and can add value to the lives of our graduates,” he said.One of the interns, Shadee Grant, who participated in the pilot project, said it was an opportunity to get valuable work experience and to give back to society.A recent graduate of the Northern Caribbean University, she assisted with the promotion, planning and co-ordination of the NYS Summer Programme, one of the agency’s flagship programmes.“It was eye-opening to know that it takes so much effort to co-ordinate a programme that is so important and has been around for so many years,” she said, noting that every day there was a new task to fulfil. Story Highlights
Manager, Jamaica Information Service (JIS) Montego Bay Regional Office, Tashion Hewitt Stennett, presents a JIS publication to students of the West End Infant School in St. James, Shamoya Pearce (centre) and Jadan Towsend. Occasion was a visit by the JIS to the institution on Friday, May 17 as part of activities to mark National Children’s Day. Students of the West End Infant School in St. James perform a dance routine at the National Children’s Day celebration held at the institution on Friday, May 17 under the theme, ‘Encourage, Enable, Include me!.’ Manager, Jamaica Information Service (JIS) Montego Bay Regional Office, Tashion Hewitt Stennett (second left, back row) presents JIS publications to Principal of the West End Infant School in St. James, Sheridah Malcolm (second right, back row). Occasion was a visit by the JIS to the institution on Friday, May 17 to observe National Children’s Day, under the theme, ‘Encourage, Enable, Include me!.’ Sharing the moment are JIS Technical Officer, Jermaine Stewart; JIS Office Attendant, Paulette Reid, along with children of the institution. Teachers of the West End Infant school in St. James perform a cultural dance during the National Children’s Day celebration at the institution on Friday, May 17 under the theme,’Encourage, Enable, Include me!’.