John Kadlecik will host the Summer Solstice Jam at Gyspsy Sally’s in Washington, DC from June 21st – 24th. The guitarist, who used to play lead guitar with Bob Weir and Phil Lesh’s Grateful Dead spin-off band Furthur, will join forces with keyboardist Melvin Seals, drummer Jay Lane, bassist Robin Sylvester, and backing vocalists Jessica Lake and Mary Lankford for four shows.In addition to co-founding Furthur with Weir and Lesh, Kadlecik also co-founded popular Grateful Dead tribute act Dark Star Orchestra, though he is no longer a member of the band. These days, he plays with the John Kadlecik Band, the Golden Gate Wingmen, and a variety of other projects.Kadlecik won’t be the only person on stage with connections to the Grateful Dead. Seals, who co-founded The Mix with Kadlecik in 2004, performed with the Jerry Garcia Band for over 15 years and continues to play the group’s music with his Melvin Seals and JGB project. Lane—who is also a member of Golden Gate Wingmen—and Sylvester are both current members of Weir’s post-Dead project RatDog (and Lane was even one of the early drummers for Primus).Tickets for the Summer Solstice Jam are now on sale. Fans can expect to hear plenty of jams and tunes from the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia catalogs. Each night will feature two sets.In related news, Kadlecik was just added to the lineup for the inaugural Waterloo Festival in Austin, TX. He’ll be performing with Oteil & Friends, a group led by Dead & Company bassist Oteil Burbridge.
JACKSON, Minn. – The IMCA Frostbuster at Jackson Motorplex has been rescheduled due to unreasonably cold temperatures forecasted for this weekend.The track’s season-opening event will now be a one-day show featuring IMCA Modifieds in a $1,000 to win Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot qualifying event.Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods run for $600 to win, IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars for $500 to win, IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks for $400 to win and Mach-1 Sport Compacts for $100 to win.IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National, regional, Allstar Performance State and track points will be awarded.Pits are scheduled to open at 4 p.m. with the front gates opening at 5 p.m. and racing at 7 p.m.Tickets are $15 for adults, $5 for students ages 13 to 18 and free for children ages 12 and younger. Pit passes are $30. Jackson Motorplex is offering a Family Pass, which includes two adults and up to three students, for $33.
MANCHESTER, England, (CMC) – West Indies captain Jason Holder has praised the England and Wales Cricket Board for the safety protocols implemented for the upcoming Test series, saying Wednesday the Caribbean side felt “safe” after arriving here for the historic tour.He said having been flown from the Caribbean by private charter on Monday, the team had experienced a seamless transition from the airport to hotel, with little interaction with the public.The tour is taking place in the face of a global public health crisis triggered by the deadly COVID-19 pandemic that has already caused over 4 100 deaths in the United Kingdom.“I feel pretty safe. I must commend the ECB, they’ve been outstanding so far,” Holder told a media conference conducted via Zoom from Old Trafford here where the entire touring party has been quarantined for the next two weeks.“Arriving here in Manchester yesterday was pretty smooth. We just transitioned directly from the plane through a VIP arrival hall and then from there straight on the buses and directly to the hotel so we had no real interface with anyone from the public; obviously just the workers at the airport and here at the hotel as well.”The three-Test series will be the first of its kind to be played behind closed doors and under strict social distancing, health and sanitisation protocols.Players will be isolated from the public throughout the seven-week tour, first at the “bio-secure” Old Trafford facility and then at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton.The teams will return to Old Trafford for the final two Tests.Originally, the series had been carded for May but had to be postponed after the United Kingdom found itself in the grip of the COVID-19 pandemic.Negotiations between the ECB and Cricket West Indies resulted in the proposed series from July 8-28, with West Indies arriving a month prior to undergo the necessary quarantine and preparation.“Before coming here to England we all knew what was being posed,” Holder pointed out.“It was a situation of constant dialogue as to what a possible series would look like coming over here to the UK and at no point in time we forced anybody to come. Everybody had their free will. “I just think it’s a case where at some point or the other we had to resume some type of normalcy. We have been assured by the ECB that the relevant protocols have been put in place and so far since we’ve got here, everything has been smooth.”Holder, who oversaw the Windies’ capture of the coveted Wisden Trophy last year, said it was important that players adjusted to the new measures which were unavoidable across most sporting disciplines.“At the end of the day it’s not going to be the normal bilateral series here in England but at the end of the day this is where we are with the state of world cricket – state of the world per se,” he stressed.“I’ve been watching other sports on TV and it is different and no doubt it will be different but again, we’ve just got to get on with it and try to make the most of the circumstances in these trying times.”