According to the data, this branch of services employed 721,603 people in 2012, compared to 303,038 in 2000. Among these employees, approximately 500,000 are guards and watchmen, a number greater than the total count of all state police officers, not including the number of personnel that work informally. Companies that include services like armored vehicles, residential alarm systems monitoring, security guards, personnel and armed escorts currently have the highest revenue growth recorded. Last year they reached 4.6 billion reais (approx. 2.3 billion dollars), compared to the prior year’s increase of 11%. The business of self defense is another field that has a rising demand, especially in the large urban centers, such as the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. This scenario of almost widespread insecurity derives from several factors ranging from the systematic activities sponsored by criminal organizations such as the Primeiro Comando da Capital (First Capital Command), the Comando Vermelho (Red Command), and the Primeiro Grupo Catarinense (First Santa Catarina Group). The homicide rate of 27.1 for each 100,000 residents is considered epidemic by the UN, and includes crimes such as armed robbery, robbery, and theft, which drove some segments of the Brazilian society to doubt the effectiveness of the government policies for the sector. On the other hand, government spending for public security showed a sharp decline. From the 3.1 billion reais (approx. 1.55 billion dollars) forecast in the federal government’s 2012 budget, only 23.8% of this total was used. Experts indicate that the situation is the result of the increased supervisory control and release of public funds, and also the lack of consistent projects to justify the release of these resources. With the perceived ineffectiveness of the public security and an increased feeling of uncertainty, Brazilian citizens have turned to the private security sector, which is a field that is expanding exponentially in Brazil. Between 2000 and 2009, businesses in this industry grew by 70%, making it a highly lucrative activity. In 2009, they spent a total of 35.85 billion reais (approx. 17.9 billion dollars), equivalent to 0.94% of the Gross Domestic Income, on private security, according to a poll by the Institute of Applied Economic Research (IPEA). By Dialogo April 18, 2013 *André Luís Woloszyn, Strategic Intelligence Analyst
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has praised citizens of Nimba County for “standing by her government over the years.”Speaking in Saclepea, Central Nimba, while touring the county on Monday, February 20, she also praised the citizens for the level of development they have undertaken across the county during her regime.The President said undertaking development projects is not only assigned to the Office of the President, but rather to every Liberian, including the legislature, the judiciary, the office of the superintendent, chiefs, citizens and legal foreign residents.What the county has done is worthy of commendation, because the residents saw that the government had created an enabling environment, she said.She also praised the private sector for the level of investment in the country, something she said gave a boost to her administration.President Sirleaf admonished the citizens to continue in their development path, “because everyone needs to build on your good example.”The President arrived in Ganta on February 19, and attended the closing ceremony of the United Methodist Church annual conference where she was honored for her achievements as the first female President of Liberia and Africa.She visited the abandoned Ganta – Sanniquellie road where she reaffirmed government’s commitment to reconstructing the road.On Monday, she interacted with petty traders on the sidewalk of Ganta’s main street, and also particpated in a conference held under the theme: “Partnership for Schools in Liberia.” The President applauded the Ministry of Education for the level of progress made so far in the Public Private Partnership initiative in Liberia that has seen a rise in student enrolment to over 1.5 million.Earlier in Seclepea, the President dedicated the newly constructed city hall that was funded with money from the ArcelorMittal Social Development Fund.As part of her visit, the President also extended her trip to Kparblee, where she dedicated the feeder road connecting Griae to Behwahlay.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
10 May 2006A look at the latest International Cricket Council test bowling ratings shows South Africa’s Makhaya Ntini in second place, behind only Sri Lanka’s prolific Muttiah Muralitharan. His elevation comes on the back of a sensational summer.Ntini has been the hottest bowler in world cricket, despite facing Australia in two test series, and New Zealand in another. He has truly shown his class against the best in the world.Roaring startAt the beginning of the summer, the Proteas faced the Aussies Down Under. In the first test, played at the WACA in Perth, Ntini got away to a roaring start, snapping up 5 for 64 in the first innings and 1 for 113 in the second innings as South Africa held the world champions to a draw.The second test proved to be a cakewalk for the Aussies as they cantered to a 184-run victory. Ntini, though, bowled tidily, picking up 3 for 70 and 0 for 17 in eight overs.Supremely fit, he was unfortunately injured for the final test. Without the Border paceman in the South African ranks, the Australians surged to an eight-wicket win to wrap up a two-nil series victory.Ntini also missed out on the VB Series due to his injury but, as Proteas’ coach Mickey Arthur would later say, the break did him the world of good, and the results are hard to argue with.In prime formNot long after the series Down Under, Australia headed for South Africa’s shores for another showdown against Graeme Smith and company. This time, Ntini was in prime form, ready for the challenge of the world’s top ranked team.On a below-par pitch in Cape Town, he claimed 2 for 76 and 3 for 28 as the Aussies won the first test within three days. Essentially, one good partnership for the Australians in their first innings, between Matthew Hayden and Ricky Ponting, secured the victory as all others failed around them.In the second test in Durban, Ntini was a little off his best form, picking up 3 for 81 and 1 for 62 as Australia secured a series-deciding 112-run win. He, however, hit back with a vengeance in the third test.Sterling effortAt The Wanderers, Australia secured a nail-biting two-wicket victory which, had it not been for some doubtful and curious umpiring decisions, could have gone the other way. Their win came about despite a sterling effort from Ntini.In the first innings, he felled opener Justin Langer in the first over of the game, sending the 100-test veteran to hospital and out of the contest. He also went on to remove six Australian batsmen, capturing 6 for 100.When Australia batted again, Ntini knocked over 4 for 78 to finish with a 10-wicket haul in the match, but the series whitewash went the way of the visitors despite his sterling effort.Making the most of the conditionsNext up, New Zealand tackled the Proteas at Supersport Park in Centurion. On a spiteful pitch, South Africa won the match by 128 runs in four days, but credit to Ntini for making the most of the conditions.The Black Caps managed to muster 327 in their first innings to lead SA by 51 runs. Ntini’s contribution was a haul of 5 for 94.The Proteas hit back with a fighting 299 in their second knock to give themselves a chance of victory and Ntini and Dale Steyn did the rest, working the Kiwis over with some vicious deliveries. Ntini snapped up for 5 for 51 and Steyn 5 for 47 as the visitors were bundled out for 120.His match figures of 10 for 145 meant he had become the first South African cricketer ever to capture 10 wickets in successive tests.Batsmen-friendly pitchNext up, in Cape Town, a batsmen-friendly pitch saw both South Africa and New Zealand post scores of over 500. The Kiwis declared their first innings on a massive 593 for 8, thanks to a double-century from Stephen Fleming and a maiden test ton from James Franklin.Despite the huge score, SA’s bowling cornerstone returned the fair figures of 4 for 162 in 43 overs.South Africa posted 512 all out in reply to New Zealand’s first innings and the Black Caps reached 121 for 3 in their second innings as the game ended in a very tame draw. Ntini picked up 1 for 25 the second time around.So, on to Johannesburg for the conclusion of the summer’s tests and again Ntini was to the fore as South Africa claimed a four-wicket victory.Blasted through their battingBatting first, the New Zealanders limped to 119 all out as Ntini blasted through their batting to return figures of 5 for 35 in 16 overs.South Africa, in reply, managed only 186, so their lead looked somewhat shaky. The feisty Kiwis managed 283 in their second innings to make a game of it, with Ntini surprisingly going wicketless, conceding 44 runs in 17 overs. Nonetheless, South Africa went on to haul in the New Zealand total, reaching 220 for 6 to secure a series victory.Ntini was named player of the series.Summer haulIn total, during the summer, he dismissed 47 batsmen at a cost of 24.43 per wicket. Remember, his efforts came against the world’s number one team – twice – and the New Zealanders who, it has been statistically proven, have test cricket’s most efficient lower order – there are no easy wickets to be taken.During the course of the summer, Ntini moved past the 250-test wicket mark and by the end of it, his total had reached 269 victims. At his current strike rate, and also considering his excellent fitness, and his age of 28, he should be a lock to reach the magical 300-test victims mark, and then to soar way beyond that.It appears Makhaya Ntini is all set to become the highest wicket taker in South African test history. Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
24 July 2014President Jacob Zuma will lead a South African delegation to the first United States-Africa Leaders’ Summit taking place in Washington on 5 and 6 August, Communications Minister Faith Muthambi said on Thursday.Speaking to journalists in Pretoria following the Cabinet’s latest fortnightly meeting, Muthambi said the summit was expected to provide a boost for Africa’s regional integration initiatives, as well as for various African Union (AU) economic development programmes.The White House made the announcement that US President Barack Obama would host the summit in January, saying that he looked forward to “further strengthen[ing] ties with one of the world’s most dynamic and fastest-growing regions.“The summit will build on the progress made since the President’s trip to Africa last summer, advance the administration’s focus on trade and investment in Africa, and highlight America’s commitment to Africa’s security, its democratic development, and its people,” the White House said.There will also be meetings of US and African CEOs, as well as an African Growth and Opportunity Act (Agoa) ministerial meeting, both aimed at strengthening trade and investment between the US and Africa.Agoa, which enables 39 eligible sub-Saharan African countries to export most products duty-free to the United States, has seen total African exports to the US more than quadruple, and US exports to sub-Saharan Africa more than triple, since its inception in 2000In August, US Trade Representative Michael Froman told a two-day forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia that the US was looking to work with African experts and leaders on forging an improved “Agoa 2.0” before the expiry of its current version in 2015.Some members of the US Congress have questioned whether South Africa, being relatively developed in Africa, should continue to be included in Agoa. Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies, speaking to journalists ahead of Obama’s visit to the country last June, argued against this view, saying it would be detrimental for the US market if South Africa were excluded.“South Africa has been a beneficiary of Agoa, but we also think that Agoa is a very significant instrument to benefit the US, not least because it is a widely appreciated measure by the US, which builds the US a high degree of goodwill in its relations with other countries on the African continent,” Davies said.Around 43% of South Africa’s exports, totalling to about $4.6-billion, have entered the US under the Agoa programme and this, according to Davies, has helped support the development of the economy, notably in manufacturing.Elizabeth Thabethe, then deputy trade and industry minister – now deputy small business development minister – said at the time that Agoa should be developed into a programme that supported African integration more directly.“This is where we need to be innovative in defining mechanisms that support Africa’s integration,” Thabethe said, adding that larger, more integrated African markets would underpin growth and development in Africa, which in turn would encourage growth in US trade and investment to Africa.SAnews.gov.za and SAinfo reporter
Microsoft today is confirming new design and interfaces changes to Windows 8.1, codenamed Windows Blue, today – changes that include the return of the missing Start menu button.(See also Microsoft Is Backing Down From One Of Windows 8’s Boldest Changes.)It isn’t known if this design change (one among many highlighted in today’s entry on the official Windows blog) will be enough to turn around the at-best ambivalence users have shown towards Windows 8 and its Metro interface, but it’s a Start.Image courtesy of Microsoft. Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#Microsoft#now#Windows 8 Related Posts readwrite Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
The Indian team will take on England in a much-awaited series, which includes four Test matches followed by a lone T20 match and five one-dayers, and star Indian middle-order batsman Rahul Dravid has picked Graeme Swann and James Anderson as the bowlers to watch out for.Dravid said that the English attack will be quite a handful in their home conditions.”James Anderson has bowled really well. He’s been the trump card. Obviously Graeme Swann is a top-class spinner. We first saw him in England bowling here last time and the boys rated him.”He’s come on leaps and bounds from then and has become one of their lead bowlers. Swann and Anderson are the key,” the veteran batsman said in the August issue of The Cricketer magazine.Dravid, who averages over 65 in Tests in England, said that attack would be the best option against the off- spinner, who is widely regarded as the best in the world.”He’s (Swann) an attacking bowler and that’s one of the things that is different. He’s not just looking to contain, he’s looking to take wickets. He’s not scared to toss the ball up and gets turn with good sideways spin. It will be a good contest against batsmen who are good players against spin, who will not be scared to take him on.”The upcoming Test series and the subsequent five ODIs has assumed enormous proportions, with the England team making it clear they intend to beat India and go for the No. 1 spot in Test rankings.advertisementDravid admitted that the England series is one of the more important series of recent times. “All series are important series. But this one is important because it’s a series between two teams that have had good recent records, which gives it a bit more context.”We won in England last time, so from that point of view England will want to do better this time,” he said.For India, the key would be the pacers, as was the case the last time when India won 1-0 in England.According to Dravid, if India can keep their fast bowlers fit, it would add another dimension to the team. “It’s a hard one to call. England are playing at home, so they have that advantage. We’re a good side, a settled side, and we’ve been playing good cricket over the last couple of years. If we can keep our fast bowlers fit, then we’ll be very competitive.” Looking back at his Test career which has lasted 15 years, Dravid said the highlight of it has been India’s rise as the world’s best Test team.”I’m really proud that India is the No. 1 Test team. I’ve seen Indian cricket since 1996 and to be part of this journey and to see India become the No. 1 Test team – not just for a short period of time because we’ve now been there for more than a year – it’s something I’m very proud of.” The first Test begins at Lord’s on July 21.