A true champion of the game: Virat Kohli wishes ‘happy retirement’ to Dale Steyn

first_imgA true champion of the game: Virat Kohli wishes ‘happy retirement’ to Dale SteynDale Steyn announced his retirement from Test cricket on Monday, bringing an end to a career which saw him pick 439 wickets from 93 matches.advertisement Rohan Sen New DelhiAugust 6, 2019UPDATED: August 6, 2019 09:20 IST Dale Steyn returned to Royal Challengers Bangalore after nine years in this season’s IPL (BCCI Photo)HIGHLIGHTSDale Steyn announced his retirement from Test cricket on MondaySteyn will continue to play limited-overs cricket for South AfricaSteyn bid adieu to the longest format after having taken 439 wickets from 93 TestsLegendary fast bowler Dale Steyn brought the curtains down on his Test career on Monday and tributes started to pour in for the South African cricketer from all over the globe. India captain Virat Kohli was among the first ones to wish Steyn on social media.Steyn, who plays for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League, got a special message from his RCB skipper Kohli after announcing his retirement from the longest format.”A true champion of the game. Happy retirement to the pace machine,” Kohli wished Steyn.A true champion of the game.Happy retirement to the pace machine @DaleSteyn62Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) August 5, 2019Kohli’s good friend and RCB teammate AB de Villiers also wished his teammate on social media in a special post.”Too many memories to mention! We started together many years back and I had the privilege and front row seats of watching @dalesteyn turn into the best bowler of his time. You are the greatest, an even better person and the best team man around. Well done HOOOLiOOOO,” de Villiers, who retired from international cricket last year, wrote on Facebook.Steyn, 36, made his Test debut in 2004 for the Proteas and went on to become the highest wicket-taker for his country in the longest format with 439 wickets from 93 matches at an average of 22.95 including 26 five-wicket hauls and 5 10-wicket hauls.Among all the bowlers who have taken 200 wickets of more, Steyn had the best strike rate at 42.3.South Africa captain Faf du Plessis also paid tribute to the 36-year-old from Phalaborwa.advertisement”The greatest of his generation. Stats don’t lie and @DaleSteyn62 test stats is the best . I know how much test cricket means to you bud and how badly you still wanted to achieve more . Hopefully we will still see a lot of this action,” du Plessis wrote.The greatest of his generation. Stats don’t lie and @DaleSteyn62 test stats is the best . I know how much test cricket means to you bud and how badly you still wanted to achieve more . Hopefully we will still see a lot of this action. # pic.twitter.com/qMglFgfZ9UFaf Du Plessis (@faf1307) August 5, 2019Regarded as one of the all-time greats of the game, Steyn will continue to play limited-overs cricket for South Africa.”Today I walk away from a format of the game I love so much,” Steyn said. “In my opinion Test cricket is the best version of this game. It tests you mentally, physically, emotionally. It’s terrible to consider never playing another Test again but what’s more terrifying is the thought of never playing again at all. So I will be focusing on ODIs and T20s for the rest of my career to maximise my full potential and ensure my longevity in this sport.”I’d like to thank everyone in cricket, no one specific, because everyone has been a part of my journey. And I look forward to continuing to play for the Proteas in the shorter formats. Thank you,” Steyn said in a statement.Also Read | Dale Steyn retires from Test cricket after 439 wickets from 93 matchesFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow Dale SteynFollow Virat KohliFollow AB de VilliersFollow Faf Du Plessislast_img read more

Continue reading

Global stocks edge up as investors look to Trump remarks

TOKYO – Global stocks rose modestly on Wednesday as investors looked ahead to a press conference by President-elect Donald Trump for details on trade and clarifications about Russia’s role in the election.KEEPING SCORE: Germany’s DAX was up 0.3 per cent at 11,618 while France’s CAC 40 gained 0.1 per cent to 4,894. Britain’s FTSE 100 added 0.1 per cent to 7,283. U.S. shares were also set to drift higher, with Dow and S&P futures both up 0.1 per cent.TRUMP FACTOR: Investors are awaiting Trump’s first news conference in nearly six months, as questions fly over Russia’s role in the election year hacking of Democratic groups. Investors are awaiting news on Trump’s plan to disengage from his businesses and on his policy positions on international trade.THE QUOTE: “Trading is likely to remain cautious ahead of press conferences with Fed members on Thursday, and Trump tonight. There is little in the way of data to drive sentiment prior to these events,” Alex Furber, a sales trader at CMC Markets, said in a commentary.SAMSUNG: Samsung’s strong earnings forecast helped drive gains on the South Korean stock market, where the Kospi added 1.5 per cent to 2,075.17, its highest close in over a year. Samsung Electronics, the country’s biggest company, finished at a fresh record high of 1,914,000 won, up 2.8 per cent, lifted by expectations of strong earnings by its computer chip business.VW SCANDAL: Shares in Volkswagen were up almost 4 per cent after the company said it is in advanced talks to settle a criminal case over its emissions scandal by pleading guilty to unspecified charges and paying $4.3 billion in criminal and civil fines. While the sum is far larger than any recent case involving the auto industry, a settlement would help end uncertainty and the company is strong enough financially to be able to handle it.ASIA’S DAY: Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 rose 0.3 per cent to close at 19,364.67. Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 added 0.2 per cent to 5,771.50. South Korea’s Kospi was up 1.5 per cent at 2,075.17. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng gained 0.8 per cent to 22,935.35, but the Shanghai Composite slipped 0.8 per cent to 3,136.75. Shares in Southeast Asia were mostly higher.ENERGY: Benchmark U.S. crude rose 25 cents to $51.07 a barrel in electronic trading, having lost $1.14 the day before. Brent crude, which is used to price oil sold internationally, added 24 cents to $53.88.CURRENCIES: The dollar rose to 116.24 yen from 115.65 yen the day before. The euro fell to $1.0507 from $1.0607. The pound continued to weaken amid concern that Britain might break off completely from the European Union’s single market. The currency was at $1.2119, from $1.2177 the day before.___Follow Yuri Kageyama on Twitter at https://twitter.com/yurikageyamaHer work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/content/yuri-kageyama A woman walks past an electronic stock board showing Nikkei stock index at a securities firm in Tokyo, Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017. Asian shares were mostly higher Wednesday morning on the back of a strengthening dollar and quiet trading ahead of remarks by president-elect Donald Trump. (AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama) by Yuri Kageyama, The Associated Press Posted Jan 10, 2017 8:26 am MDT Last Updated Jan 11, 2017 at 6:00 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email Global stocks edge up as investors look to Trump remarks read more

Continue reading

At global UN consultation health leaders underline need for action on migrant

The ‘Colombo Statement,’ adopted yesterday at the second Global Consultation on Migrant Health, aims to address the health challenges of increasingly mobile populations, now numbering about one billion – one in seven people on the planet.“Protecting the health of mobile populations is a public health and human rights imperative,” said the South-East Asia Regional Director at the UN World Health Organization (WHO), Poonam Khetrapal Singh. Highlighting the importance of the issue, Davide Mosca, the Director of Migration Health Division at the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM), added: “This can only be realized through the implementation of well-managed and coordinated migration policies, which include financial risk protection and equal access to quality health services.” The Colombo Statement also calls for mainstreaming migrant health into key national, regional and international agendas and promotes international solidarity for equitable migrant health policies, a shared research agenda and the development of global frameworks to ensure migrant health is protected. Furthermore, ensuring the highest standard of health for all, including for migrants and refugees are also a key component of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) pledge to leave no one behind. SEE ALSO: World leaders at UN summit adopt ‘bold’ plan to enhance protections for refugees and migrantsThis health issue most directly linked to targets 10.7 on facilitating safe, regular and responsible migration and mobility of people; and 3.8 on achieving universal health coverage under Goals 10 and 3, respectively. There is also an anticipation that the momentum generated by the Global Consultation will carry into the World Health Assembly – WHO’s governing body – where its member States will deliberate, among other health issues, priority actions to protect migrants’ right to health. The Global Consultation was organized in the Sri Lankan capital, Colombo, by IOM, WHO and the Government of Sri Lanka. read more

Continue reading

Families will be clobbered by London mayors new CO2 tax

Changes to the congestion charge will not significantly cut CO2, nor will they drive down traffic in central London. However, families who need larger cars could face bills of up to £6,000 a year. SMMT has re-stated these concerns today, following the mayor of London’s press briefing this morning. From 27 October, cars that emit more than 225 g/km CO2 will pay £25 to enter the central London charging zone. Band A and B cars, those that emit less than 120 g/km, will be eligible for a 100 per cent discount. The mayor did not make clear how long discounts would apply. Drivers of cars within bands C to F will pay the current £8 a day charge. The scheme has been billed as a gas-guzzler tax. However, families with some variants of popular cars like the Ford Mondeo, Renault Espace or Vauxhall Vectra will be forced to pay £25 a day just to drive within the zone. ‘This is totally disproportionate and does not present a consistent signal to consumers,’ said SMMT chief executive Paul Everitt. ‘The mayor has made it clear that charges will be varied in future and has not clarified the period in which discounts will apply. ‘We can be confident that this means higher charges and the gradual erosion of discounts for band A and B cars. I shall therefore be writing to the mayor seeking a three-year application period before any further changes are made to the scheme.’ TfL figures suggest a CO2 saving of up to 8,100 tonnes under the changes. That compares to total ground-based transport emissions in London of 9.7 million tonnes. In other words, the maximum benefit for the capital would be a CO2 reduction of just 0.084 per cent. This compares to average new car CO2 emissions which have come down by 13 per cent in a decade, saving an estimated million tonnes of CO2 each year. The biggest improvements have come in the 4×4 and MPV segments, down 20 and 24 per cent respectively. SMMT supports the mayor’s stated aim to reduce congestion. However, independent reports suggest that changes could encourage between 4-10,000 additional cars onto central London roads. That could mean more congestion and delays for drivers within the zone. Notes: 1. At €20 bn, the automotive sector is Europe’s largest investor in R&D, driving industry forward and helping deliver more sustainable motoring for the 21st century. Technological innovation has helped car and CV manufacturers slash CO2 and air quality emissions from vehicles. New diesel cars for example emit 95 per cent less soot from the tailpipe than those made 15 years ago and average new car CO2 has been cut by 13 per cent since 1997. Each vehicle made in Britain requires half the energy to produce than it did just five years ago, saving an estimated 700,000 tonnes of CO2 a year. Total combined waste to landfill down by more than half, from 80,399 tonnes in 2000 to 39,862 tonnes in 2006. For more details, download SMMT’s eighth annual Sustainability Report from the SMMT web site www.smmt.co.uk/category/reports/. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window) read more

Continue reading